Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado OTC elk (and 3rd season deer)

So much for snow. Rained all night down here. My dumb idea to stay at a lower elevation and come in from a different direction. Tried going up an eight percent grade of pure gumbo.

Yeah, you get struck when you do that. Imagine backing down a hill with guys pushing on each side of the truck to deflect the affects of gravity, momentum, and tires that are so filled with mud as to prevent the tires from changing direction. None of that got filmed, given the darkness, rain, mud, need for all hands on deck, and Fin's look of panic.

So, the best morning of hunting is down the tubes for us and the twenty other vehicles heading up the road. Now in town providing humor to a local old boy who laughed after asking, "What road were you on?“ Evidently it is local knowledge that you don't try that hill under wet conditions.

Gonna take the asphalt to higher elevation, then go cross country a few extra miles. If we shot something on thus hunt, it will be a stroke of great luck.

Time for a strong shot of coffee.

It was a tough hunt for us 2ond season out of Gunnsion too. Pm me when you are ready for GPS coordinates on that cow my son in law got.:D

Try breakfast the at W cafe and Tic toc. Their hours are not hunter friendly but good food.

Spent the rest of the day trying to find some visibility at higher elevations, with almost no luck. We got up over 10,000' and found a complete whiteout blizzard. Waited for some clearing, but it never came. Finally had to drop down below the blizzard and glass there.

Saw nothing. No tracks, no animals, and only one other vehicle. Not sure where the hunters are, given it is the last Saturday of 3rd season. Maybe they are smart enough to not waste time up that high.

Later, came down further and climbed some ridges that gave us some good glassing near a private boundary. Went up above an ATV trail and set up the optics to look in most every direction. Just about the time we got set up, the blizzard decided to hang out over our position. Most of the afternoon was whiteout and 30+ MPH winds.

Spotted five bulls, about a half mile from public, once the snow stopped for the last half hour. The bulls never made it to public. Just after glassing the bulls, a group of deer emerged from the white powdered trees. A nice buck trailing them. They were on public, but headed to private.

Mason and I bailed off the ridge while Mark and Brad kept eye on the bulls. We had to cross the ATV trail and cross a big sage flat to catch up to the deer, now standing near the boundary. As we neared the ATV trail, we could hear the whine of motors coming down the trail. Dang the luck.

We crossed the trail, down into a wash that hid us from the deer and would take us within 100 yards of the deer. Always a gamble to take a path where you loose vision of the animals, but it looked like our best chance. I ranged the trees at 410 yards. Way too far in the cross wind and further complicated by a private boundary nearby.

We were not too far down the wash, when the ATVs stopped above us, talking and whistling. Obviously they had seen the deer. And, since we could see them, I know the ATVers could see us making a stalk.

When we got close, I peaked over the rise and saw nothing. Where the deer had been, there was nothing but fresh snow. Where had they gone? Nothing on the private. Nothing on the public. Later, we learned the deer jumped the fence and then headed to the timber on private. Crap.

Such is the deal of hunting public land. Just the way it goes. Not sure if those guys were trying to stop the deer for our benefit, or what. Regardless, the deer made it to a sanctuary by the time we got there, only a few minutes before filming light had evaporated.

Was not a bad afternoon. We found deer and five bulls. Those bulls were feeding toward public when light disappeared, so Mark might get a chance at them in the morning. I will be back up on ridge above the ATV trail, hoping to intercept the deer that cross the sage and come to these trees for bedding. It has taken four days of glassing and hiking to find a good spot. Tomorrow is the last day, so you know where we will be.

I have shot plenty of deer, so I would way rather see Mark shoot a bull on the ridge they are headed to in the morning than I would to shoot a deer on our ridge. We will only be a mile apart, but given the luck of this hunt, Mark will probably see deer and I will see bulls.

Snowing hard right now, so not sure what it will look like come morning. Not that it matters, as I know where I will be. Just hope we have enough visibility to glass the opposite ridges and lower basins.

A " little snow" shouldn't bother you northern tier boys. Hope it goes well tomorrow

Best of luck tomorrow Randy. You make your own luck when you hunt as hard as you do. Hopefully things fall into place for the last day.

Good luck. I continue to be amazed at the effort you put into this. I have a feeling it will pay off.

Had a very nice 4 X 3 almost in range this morning. Some other hunters bumped him on to a small private piece. Her and his does have now moved back to public. I intend to shoot him in the next few hours.

Been on this frozen windy ridge since daylight. Getting ready to hike down, then up the other side where I can cover one of the two possible escape rouges of the 4 X 3. If he comes out of that thick junk and goes south he will be on T V. If he goes NW, I have hiked and froze my tail off for nothing. All a roll of the dice at this point.

Mark and Brad have not seen the elk. They say the sun has thawed the south face of the ridge and they cannot get the truck up to the trail where they dropped us off this morning, due to the melting snow greasing up the road so bad. Oh well, all down hill from here, hopefully with heavy packs.

They are going much higher and hoping to find some elk in the deeper snow. Not even three hours left in this season. Need some luck ....and soon.

Now in position with all shooting lanes under 300 yards. Come south big fella, come south.

I had stuff to do this evening. Now I'm gonna be glued to this damn computer. Good luck!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexn
Back