Colorado non-res Doe license, $412 and draw only?

JRMiller

A friend and I usually hunt does two years for every year we buck hunt, as we dont have the funds to hunt bucks every year as a non-res.
We usually do Wyoming/Utah, this year we checked out Colorado as we both moved and its now much closer.
But we see no indication that Does are not $412 and to get a tag you would have to draw one as well?
Cost is not our only concern (its a hard pass if it is $412 for a Doe), but also if we did apply, would getting a Doe tag burn our Deer points as well??
Hopefully we're missing something more obvious here and someone here might have some insight.
many thanks
JR

I don’t think you’re missing anything. $420 and you burn your points if you draw your 1st choice tag. $420 and you don’t burn your points if you draw it as 2nd choice.

Unfortunately for you, I think it's even worse than that. Pretty sure it's 420.23 for a deer license, regardless of the tag or method getting that tag (draw, LO, otc). If you choose to try and get the tag in the main or second draw, you also need to buy a 86.50 small game license as well as the 10.59 habitat stamp.

You're best bet might be to try and snag one off the LO list to same 97 dollars and doe tags are common on that list, just not the ones with limited quantity and lots of public land

As a resident I can confirm all your assumptions. All deer tags in CO are draw and use your points if drawn first choice. Sex doesn’t matter. In fact we have several Units that take more points for does than they do bucks. Some tags may make it to leftover and not use your points but they make it there for a reason.

Unfortunately even for a resident CO is not a place to shoot a freezer filler deer every year unless you have access to private land.

We are clearly selling way too cheep.
No I think he is right because the deer herd in MT is struggling and its doing ok in CO (certainly not trending up but still stellar compared to other western states)
Yeah sorry I read that in reverse.

I’m a moron my apologies, I will be over here taking my foot out of my mouth.

Last edited:
Not a big fan of reduced price licenses for females, although I've taken advantage of Wyoming's generosity often. Biologically, they are more valuable than the bucks/bulls. Make folks pay for them or leave them on the mountain.

Not a big fan of reduced price licenses for females, although I've taken advantage of Wyoming's generosity often. Biologically, they are more valuable than the bucks/bulls. Make folks pay for them or leave them on the mountain.
While I agree, I guess it just depends on whether or not the hunters are buying and filling those doe tags. If you price the doe tags at the same cost or higher than a buck tag and only half of the biologists goals for a doe harvest are being achieved because the doe tags aren't selling, it doesn't work right?

A friend and I usually hunt does two years for every year we buck hunt, as we dont have the funds to hunt bucks every year as a non-res.
We usually do Wyoming/Utah, this year we checked out Colorado as we both moved and its now much closer.
But we see no indication that Does are not $412 and to get a tag you would have to draw one as well?
Cost is not our only concern (its a hard pass if it is $412 for a Doe), but also if we did apply, would getting a Doe tag burn our Deer points as well??
Hopefully we're missing something more obvious here and someone here might have some insight.
many thanks
JR
Well after reading numerous threads on this forum about the hoards of hunters out in the field, it seems like this is a good way to thin out the hoards.

While I agree, I guess it just depends on whether or not the hunters are buying and filling those doe tags. If you price the doe tags at the same cost or higher than a buck tag and only half of the biologists goals for a doe harvest are being achieved because the doe tags aren't selling, it doesn't work right?
I'm not convinced they wouldn't be sold. The only areas in CO where they are not sold out at full price are the areas with limited public lands or licenses that are restricted to private lands.

I'm not against doe hunting, but I am against it at this moment in time. Colorado deer herds are in such bad shape there should be no doe tags available for a few years. There was a deer slaughter last year, and there will be another slaughter this year with the late November hunts. CPW is hell bent on destroying Mule Deer in Colorado. Please find an alternative to fill your freezer.
Whitetails in Wyoming maybe?

Of all the doe-only tags in Western states it’s probably the least economic for a non-resident. I can’t speak to every deer herd in the state but we’ve got plenty where I hunt.

I actually go to Nebraska to top off my freezer; way easier terrain, weather, and longer season. I think it’s $97 for two NR doe
tags; OTC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back