Colorado native BRAND new to hunting.. I have oh so many questions

Welcome from a former Denverite. You’ve got the right idea with spending time in the areas you want to hunt, observing animals, learning about their habits, and taking notes. A lot of newbies don’t take much if any time to scout, and are then disappointed when they don’t see game on their hunt.

Welcome from Southern CO! It can certainly be a challenge finding like minded individuals, having lived in Denver and the Springs I know what you mean! Feel free to send a PM and I’d be happy to lend a helping hand 👍🏼

@BH87 Welcome to HuntTalk, and welcome to hunting. Actually, I might say you have been hunting all those years that you have honed up your flyfishing skills, as there are many similarities between the endeavors. Knowing your quarry, understanding the environment that they live in, knowing how to be ninja-like in closing the distance, all of these are required for success in angling or hunting.

I would encourage you to continue to work on the goose cooking game, as a well prepared goose is a treasure. I would suggest on your next successful goose trip you look up Hank Shaw or Meateater's preparation of goose pastrami. That is always a hit and is the first one gone off the charcuterie board at our house.

Welcome! Buy some good boots that fit well and put as many miles on them as you can before the season start. Once you're out there hunting slow down and open you eyes and ears. Take the time to sit and watch. I spent the first few seasons I hunted walking way too fast. Remember, you're not trying to get from point A to B!

Thanks! I chose that GMU because I saw a big group down by the middle fork on tomahawk SWA but that was in late January. From what I've read so far they'll likely be higher up in elevation earlier in the season (depending on how the seasons snow is of course)? Figured I'd start low and work my way up during the scouting trips. That's about as far as I've gotten on thinking through the elk hunt.. Focusing on planning the deer hunt mostly as I think I'm probably more likely to succeed there.
PM if you like so a random assortment of your new best virtual friends aren't there waiting when you drive up or hike in.

Welcome! Buy some good boots that fit well and put as many miles on them as you can before the season start. Once you're out there hunting slow down and open you eyes and ears. Take the time to sit and watch. I spent the first few seasons I hunted walking way too fast. Remember, you're not trying to get from point A to B!
Really appreciate it! Right now I'm going out and scouting spots. I know it's early, I'm not really looking for "game" but just comparing the CPW atlas with winter/summer ranges and migration routes and trying to identify good glassing/ambush locations at various altitudes so I'm prepared depending on how much snow we get in the fall. Also just trying to get in shape by hiking with a 50lb ruck sack just in case I am successful..

Welcome from Highlands Ranch. I started the hunting thing in 2018 - solo backpack hunting for deer/elk at age 53 as my first priority is to enjoy the experience and 2nd is to fill the freezer. I am thoroughly hooked now and can't wait for this season to get started. So far I have struck out on elk but last year had three opportunities with less than ideal shooting angles. All at moderate ranges but didn't feel comfortable with the shots so passed. No regrets in doing so. I get closer to success every year just being out there and learning the area and where they like to be. Got my first mule deer last fall in southwest Wyoming at 225 yds. I will be GMU 43 for 1st Rifle (Elk) and 2nd Rifle (Deer & Cow Elk). Can't offer much help on the units you are pursuing but don't get discouraged if you eat a tag or few - just getting out and hunting is the best reward and learning the unit over a few years is pure gold. Let me know if I can help in any way.
Really appreciate you sharing a bit of your own experience. I really like that, not worrying about eating tags and just enjoying being out there. Thanks and good luck this year!

Welcome from a former Denverite. You’ve got the right idea with spending time in the areas you want to hunt, observing animals, learning about their habits, and taking notes. A lot of newbies don’t take much if any time to scout, and are then disappointed when they don’t see game on their hunt.
Really appreciate it! Right now I'm going out and scouting spots. I know it's early, I'm not really looking for "game" since I don't know if they'll still be there come Oct/Nov, but just comparing the CPW atlas with winter/summer ranges and migration routes and trying to identify good glassing/ambush locations at various altitudes so I'm prepared depending on how much snow we get in the fall. Right now I'm thinking it'll be pretty warm still so I'm focusing a bit more at the higher alt. then where I saw them last Jan. Also just trying to get in shape by hiking with a 50lb ruck sack just in case I am successful.. Thoughts?

Welcome from Southern CO! It can certainly be a challenge finding like minded individuals, having lived in Denver and the Springs I know what you mean! Feel free to send a PM and I’d be happy to lend a helping hand 👍🏼
Appreciate it man! Looks like I can't PM since I'm such a new member.. need 10 posts before I can start a convo. Will reach out as soon as I can!

Welcome to HT! Hopefully we can give you a ton of help to meet your needs!

Hello HT,

I'll admit off the bat that I don't know s***... (Including whether cussing is allowed/frowned upon/encouraged on this forum)

I grew up in Denver and have been fishing my whole life. However no one in my family is a hunter so I was never introduced to it. Now that I'm into my 30's I've started pursuing some new interests. Fly fishing has dominated my life for the last 2 years and I am most happy out on a stream with no one in sight. I've always had this idea of wanting to hunt though. I think it started with a desire to be self reliant, to know that if the world went to hell I could provide for myself and family. That is still there, but over time I started learning about the impact of the current food culture on the environment and I got this wild idea to harvest all of the meat I consume. I figured achieving that within 5 years was maybe possible. Then I started becoming reconnected with nature through fly fishing after wasting most of 20s doing typical 20 year old city guy things. Combine this all together with the fact that I don't know ANYONE who hunts, and that's the reason why I'm here.

Last year I decided to sign up for CPW's mentorship hunt program. I was contacted about an opportunity to hunt geese with a group of three other hunters and 2 CPW officers. While I was disappointed that this wasn't a big game opportunity, it ended up being fantastic. They really set us up for success. I fired 3 shots and killed two birds. I learned a ton and met some cool guys in the process. I won't be pursuing goose again this year as I found I'm not overly fond of the flavor (still ate all of it though). I then spent the remainder of last years hunting season try to find rabbit and squirrel. After many hours driving and hiking I discovered these are not nearly as easy to find/kill as the quantity sitting in my backyard led me to believe.. I did manage to shoot one fox squirrel out at south republican SWA and was pleasantly surprised how great it tasted. I then spent the majority of weekends this spring looking turkey... I had read somewhere that this can be a frustrating pursuit, and I was not let down. I saw probably 40-50 turkeys the whole season and they were always on private property or close to a road. I had a huge tom cross the road right in front of my 4runner down by rampart. While disappointed and frustrating as this was I did have a great time out in the woods and learning a new part of the state.

I've signed up for the mentorship program again this year and am seriously hoping to land a big game opportunity. However, in case that doesn't work out I've successfully drawn two tags that I will try to pursue on my own. To that end I'm gathering as much information as possible to prepare for this fall. Currently reading Steven Rinella's guide to big game and studying the CPW hunting atlas and onX whenever I have free time. Planning on stopping by the local CPW office for the GMU's I drew in to get some intel as well but I still have so many questions.. Part of me feels bad that all I have to offer this forum is questions.. I know one day I'd like to pay it forward. Also happy to swap hot fly fishing intel for hunting help as that's about all I can offer for the moment.

Anyways, I think that's probably long enough for an introduction. If y'all have any advice, are willing to be a mentor or even just want to shoot the breeze I am all ears. Hope everyone has a great season this year.

D-F-018-O2-R (the CPW guy from goose hunt said this would be an easy tag to draw and I'm pretty familiar with kemp breeze SWA, this will be my primary focus this year)
E-F-050-O3-R (saw a bunch of elk here while looking for rabbit figured I'd give it shot)

B
Just a little advise from an "old fart"🤣
Hunting what is it?
Well, I lurked here for a long time, have watched Randy's videos equally for a very long time. Then jumped in here a few days ago.

Hunting - to some Money buys it all, with enough $ a guild may even hold the rifle and let you pull the trigger then put a little blood on your face and call you a hunter😂
Or you can study the Wolverine, the native American Indian who can track a man or animal across slick rock - the Aborigines who can travel for days with nothing but a tube for finding water - the Maasai of Africa who can run for miles across vast land's, rest, then run again taking food and water from the arrid land.
Can you be still for 45 minutes, 10 feet from doe feeding, and not spook them waiting for the buck to show himself?

It takes patience, persevernce, tenacity, grit, and most of all a committed heart.

It wouldn't hurt to learn some OLD skills, like making fire and shelter, a knife and axe from rock, Say not needed, you carry everything, ok but don't break anything, or loose your gear unexpectedly crossing a stream.
You don't need any of this - but - what if?
Wife or child go with, get hurt,, you become their saviour, would you be prepared?

Watch Randy's videos, learn many things and remember - Preparation will always find Opportunity.

My rant for a new guy, from an "Old Fart" 😂😂 enjoy the life of "Hunting"

Just a little advise from an "old fart"🤣
Hunting what is it?
Well, I lurked here for a long time, have watched Randy's videos equally for a very long time. Then jumped in here a few days ago.

Hunting - to some Money buys it all, with enough $ a guild may even hold the rifle and let you pull the trigger then put a little blood on your face and call you a hunter😂
Or you can study the Wolverine, the native American Indian who can track a man or animal across slick rock - the Aborigines who can travel for days with nothing but a tube for finding water - the Maasai of Africa who can run for miles across vast land's, rest, then run again taking food and water from the arrid land.
Can you be still for 45 minutes, 10 feet from doe feeding, and not spook them waiting for the buck to show himself?

It takes patience, persevernce, tenacity, grit, and most of all a committed heart.

It wouldn't hurt to learn some OLD skills, like making fire and shelter, a knife and axe from rock, Say not needed, you carry everything, ok but don't break anything, or loose your gear unexpectedly crossing a stream.
You don't need any of this - but - what if?
Wife or child go with, get hurt,, you become their saviour, would you be prepared?

Watch Randy's videos, learn many things and remember - Preparation will always find Opportunity.

My rant for a new guy, from an "Old Fart" 😂😂 enjoy the life of "Hunting"
Oh BTW I started my life of fishing for trout at Cottage Lake at 5 outside Bothell Washington when it was very far from Seattle

When you can pm, drop me a note and I will tell you about a place to hunt you won't be disappointed with, 😉😉up next to the Wyoming boarder

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back