Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado mule deer best unit 9 Resident points?

williams_25

Looking for best unit in CO with 9 resident deer points. Looking at a 3rd or 4th season?

Welcome aboard. Colorado parks and wildlife website has stats, draw odds and success rates that would probably help your search, it’s your best friend.
Or Colorado outdoors mag has a preference point issue that can be helpful too. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice. I’m very familiar with the website and stats just looking for the top units for big bucks. Been saving for the above timberline Silverton early hunt but have heard it’s not what it used to be. Just wanna find good unit with good trophy potential.

Interesting, I was just looking today. Someone drew a 2nd rifle doe tag for GMU 18 (which also applies to a few more units) with 16 points. You could look into that! You could probably draw a 4th rifle tag in GMU 55 which could be pretty sweet.

Interesting, I was just looking today. Someone drew a 2nd rifle doe tag for GMU 18 (which also applies to a few more units) with 16 points. You could look into that! You could probably draw a 4th rifle tag in GMU 55 which could be pretty sweet.
55 was in the top units I was looking at. Also 54, 66 and 67 just wanted some insight before applying.

Thanks for the advice. I’m very familiar with the website and stats just looking for the top units for big bucks. Been saving for the above timberline Silverton early hunt but have heard it’s not what it used to be. Just wanna find good unit with good trophy potential.
I’ve always looked at 70. Seen some big bucks come out of there. May take a few more pp though.

Last edited:
I’ve always looked at 70. Seen some big bucks come out of there. May take a few more pp though.
We live by and I work in 70 and it’s just not what it used to be. But yes some pigs have come out of there in the past. Still a fun unit to hunt though.

I'd be looking at tags that took 7 points to draw in last years draw if I had 9 going in this year. There will be point creep in any decent unit this year and next year. I'd be extremely surprised if you could pull a 55 4th tag this year. There was only one tag left at the 9 point level last year. There were 5 guys that put in with 8 who will also have 9 this year, plus anybody like you who has points and didn't put in that decide to this year. That tag could easily jump to 11+ points this year.

Unit 21 second season. Or 30 for 3rd season with the points you have

I'd be looking at tags that took 7 points to draw in last years draw if I had 9 going in this year. There will be point creep in any decent unit this year and next year. I'd be extremely surprised if you could pull a 55 4th tag this year. There was only one tag left at the 9 point level last year. There were 5 guys that put in with 8 who will also have 9 this year, plus anybody like you who has points and didn't put in that decide to this year. That tag could easily jump to 11+ points this year.
Does Go Hunt account for point creep in their draw odds?

How big of a buck do you want? It matters because most people who don't know where they live, won't kill one anyway.

How big of a buck do you want? It matters because most people who don't know where they live, won't kill one anyway.
Looking for a 180”+ I know they don’t live under ever tree in every unit but that is kinda the mark I’m looking for

Any unit in Colorado that requires 7-9 points to draw is capable of producing bucks at that mark, but you are still going to have to do your leg work to find them (or get lucky).

I'd take a look at the CPW draw stats, see what what units are in that 7-9 point band range (or use Go Hunt to make your life easy) and plot a pathway of what type experience you want to have based on the terrain in that unit. There aren't many units that fall in the 7-9 point band, so it should be pretty easy for you to nail down what those options are...once you make a choice, don't second guess it. Scout to learn the unit pre-season, hunt hard and have fun (even if you don't connect with the muley of your dreams)!

Back