MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Colorado Harvest Numbers (Methods of Calculations)

F

fwagner

In unit 41 last fall I drew a bull muzzleloader tag. The 2014 harvest record shows that 9 bulls were taken. I never received a call or survey to fill out to report my bull which leads me to wonder how can they have accurate numbers on their harvest numbers? Why doesn't colorado step into 2015 and realize a online registration is a easy way to execute a accurate count of elk harvested. Also, if you take your elk to a professional processor do they report it to the DOW? I realize registration at the time of kill or even days after isn't plausible in most locations but why not set up a online system with a week, or even a month deadline? I know most of you old guys struggle with technology but hunting is becoming a young man's sport:D

Statistical sampling and historical sampling can get you pretty damn close. Not to mention, setting up an online reporting tool is expensive and no guarantee of improved accuracy. Bottom line, it may not be worth the investment at this point as any accuracy increase may be immaterial.

Last edited:
I am always suspect of harvest data. Some states have some form of harvest survey but the data still relays on honesty and accuracy of the people filling out the survey.

Patrick

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back