Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado GMU80/81 Elk Hunt Partner 2020

CenTex

Hello, I live in Central Texas and am a lifelong Rocky Mountains hunter. I am retired and plan to hunt the Rockies as long as possible. I have a pack-in (my equipment) hunting trip booked with an outfitter for 2nd elk rifle season (10/24-11/1). My hunting partner won't be going on this trip now and my preference is to have a hunting partner. I'm looking for an elk hunting partner for high altitude hunting in GMU80/81; someone who can handle no cellular phone service for a week and truly enjoys hunting regardless of success. I have hunted and fished this same area for the past four seasons and plan to be camping in an area that is a considerable distance away from the main trails. The area is 4-6 miles by horseback from the nearest vehicular road. There is a freight cost that includes packing out harvested animals.

Hello, I live in Central Texas and am a lifelong Rocky Mountains hunter. I am retired and plan to hunt the Rockies as long as possible. I have a pack-in (my equipment) hunting trip booked with an outfitter for 2nd elk rifle season (10/24-11/1). My hunting partner won't be going on this trip now and my preference is to have a hunting partner. I'm looking for an elk hunting partner for high altitude hunting in GMU80/81; someone who can handle no cellular phone service for a week and truly enjoys hunting regardless of success. I have hunted and fished this same area for the past four seasons and plan to be camping in an area that is a considerable distance away from the main trails. The area is 4-6 miles by horseback from the nearest vehicular road. There is a freight cost that includes packing out harvested animals.
Hi,
I guess I'm being nosey, or curious as to who your Outfitter is, and if you know where you're going to be hunting? I live in Unit 80, and am very familiar with some parts of this unit. I might be able to offer some insight on your hunt? It sounds like you've booked a drop camp? I tried to send a private message, but got some kind of glitch and it wouldn't send.

Hi,
I guess I'm being nosey, or curious as to who your Outfitter is, and if you know where you're going to be hunting? I live in Unit 80, and am very familiar with some parts of this unit. I might be able to offer some insight on your hunt? It sounds like you've booked a drop camp? I tried to send a private message, but got some kind of glitch and it wouldn't send.
[/QUOTE

I'm not doing a drop camp this year. The outfitter is transporting my gear up the mountain and, then hauling harvested game to the trailhead. Some insight into 80/81 would be great. Local knowledge of an area is golden. I sent you a private message. Thanks for the reply.

How was your hunt? I’m considering an archery hunt with an outfitter in this same GMUs for this year. We’re looking at Fishtail Ranch Outfitters. Any chance this is the one you use? If so I’d love to hear about your experience

How was your hunt? I’m considering an archery hunt with an outfitter in this same GMUs for this year. We’re looking at Fishtail Ranch Outfitters. Any chance this is the one you use? If so I’d love to hear about your experience
The author hasn't been back on Hunt Talk since shortly after he posted his introduction. It's a common thing.
I live in 80/81. The boundary between the two units divides out property in two. I do must of my hunting in 81 but am very familiar with both units.

Ok thanks for the info. Are you familiar with this outfitter? Fishtail Ranch Outfitters? They are in Colorado and New Mexico. Would love to pick your brain if you’re available to share any useful info ?

I am not familiar with them. If you want to hunt units 80/81 with an outfitter I would recommend Conejos Canyon Outfitters or the Lost Elk outfitters. Both owners live and work exclusively in the two units. You want find anyone more knowledgeable about those units.
If you have specific questions about the units send me a private message and I'll share what I can.

I am not familiar with them. If you want to hunt units 80/81 with an outfitter I would recommend Conejos Canyon Outfitters or the Lost Elk outfitters. Both owners live and work exclusively in the two units. You want find anyone more knowledgeable about those units.
If you have specific questions about the units send me a private message and I'll share what I can.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will check out these outfitters

I don’t see a “Lost Elk Outfitters” listed anywhere in Colorado. Is that the correct name?

Ok thanks for the info. Are you familiar with this outfitter? Fishtail Ranch Outfitters? They are in Colorado and New Mexico. Would love to pick your brain if you’re available to share any useful info ?
Rackman77: I also live in Unit 80, and in fact my ranch is surrounded on 3 sides by the Rio Grande National Forest. I think I know where every single drop camp and outfitted camp is that is run by Fishtail Ranch. If you want to send me a private message, I'll give you my take/opinion on the matters.

Rackman77: I also live in Unit 80, and in fact my ranch is surrounded on 3 sides by the Rio Grande National Forest. I think I know where every single drop camp and outfitted camp is that is run by Fishtail Ranch. If you want to send me a private message, I'll give you my take/opinion on the matters.
If you ever need a weekend hand for any projects I’m a few hours away! Would love to buy ya a beer and pick your brain on that area!

Well, the Divide Ranger Station called me this morning to say the Rock Creek Drainage gate is finally opening today. It's been locked down later than usual, as an area of road got washed out. So, not to waste any time, weather be damned, I'm going over there tomorrow on the 701 trail and saw my way up the North Rock Creek drainage, as every year there's probably 15-20 downed trees that have to go, as it's impassable in the narrow areas of the canyon. This is the wildest, least visited area around here, and seldom sees a human except during the Fall. I'll ride in and have my mule pack the chainsaw.
If you can ride a horse and are around, you can go.

Well, the Divide Ranger Station called me this morning to say the Rock Creek Drainage gate is finally opening today. It's been locked down later than usual, as an area of road got washed out. So, not to waste any time, weather be damned, I'm going over there tomorrow on the 701 trail and saw my way up the North Rock Creek drainage, as every year there's probably 15-20 downed trees that have to go, as it's impassable in the narrow areas of the canyon. This is the wildest, least visited area around here, and seldom sees a human except during the Fall. I'll ride in and have my mule pack the chainsaw.
If you can ride a horse and are around, you can go.
Just got back in from Lubbock, may be available this weekend

My hunt in GMU 81 during the 2020 season was quite an adventure, even though I did not fill my tag. I hunted solo in 2020 during the 3rd rifle season, which was my fourth year hunting in this wilderness unit. Conejos Canyon Outfitters provided freight service into the wilderness area. Yes, I do recommend Conejos Canyon Outfitters, both for guided and drop camps. I hunted for 6 days, until the snow depth prevented me from hunting the areas that I had scouted. Give me a private message and I'll be glad to give you more information.

Hello Rackman 77. I hunted solo in the South San Juan Wilderness Area within GMU 81 during the 2020 3rd elk rifle season. Conejos Canyon Outfitters freighted me and my gear into the area. 2020 was the third consecutive year that I have used Conejos Canyon Outfitters. Yes, I recommend Conejos Canyon Outfitters for the services they provide. I hunted for 6 days until snow depth prevented me from reaching the areas that I had scouted to hunt. Lots and lots of elk were on the move at that time. Send me a private message and I'll assist you as best that I can.

Hello Rackman 77. I hunted solo in the South San Juan Wilderness Area within GMU 81 during the 2020 3rd elk rifle season. Conejos Canyon Outfitters freighted me and my gear into the area. 2020 was the third consecutive year that I have used Conejos Canyon Outfitters. Yes, I recommend Conejos Canyon Outfitters for the services they provide. I hunted for 6 days until snow depth prevented me from reaching the areas that I had scouted to hunt. Lots and lots of elk were on the move at that time. Send me a private message and I'll assist you as best that I can.
Thanks for the response. I Tried PM ing you but it won’t work. I’m guessing it’s because you’re new to the group and you haven’t had enough posts yet to be granted permission to PM yet. Welcome!

Thanks for the response. I Tried PM ing you but it won’t work. I’m guessing it’s because you’re new to the group and you haven’t had enough posts yet to be granted permission to PM yet. Welcome!
My hunting experience in GMU 81 has only been during elk rifle seasons. I have scouted this area during summer and believe the location and movement of elk in this area would be similar for archery and the first two elk rifle seasons. For the second elk rifle season in GMU 81, I've hunted out of drop camps that were on top or near the top at elevations ranging from 10,600 feet to 12,200 feet. I rifle hunted mostly around the 11,700' elevation. The terrain on top is less steep with open rolling grass land interspersed with dense stands of conifers. Grass was plentiful on top. Using the Roaring Gulch trailhead on Forest Service Road 250 to get on top, I have hunted and/or scouted the Roaring Gulch trail as far as Twin Lakes, which I discovered was too much saddle time for my behind. Also, I have detoured onto the Bear Lake trail and hunted just off the top near Bear Lake. I really liked the Bear Lake area habitat and believe it to be primo elk country. During the second elk rifle season, I mostly hunted from Bonita Canyon and, then around the top in the direction of Bear Lake; following the dark timbered tree line. Elk seem to move off the top down into the dark timber in the mornings and, then move back on top in the late afternoon. Most of the elk signs seen were concentrated in and along the numerous draws and ravines that drop off from the top into dark timber. As described in my previous post, I hunted the 3rd elk rifle season during 2020. Good luck to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back