Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado GMU 86 elk and deer

@Chippewa thanks for the info, it both alleviated and confirmed some concerns I had. I like to avoid areas close to population so anywhere near salida was never in the question. But I figured the pass roads would be hot spots for hunters and them taking the rainbow trail to further trailheads on atvs just reassures my plan for finding a region that lacks that access. Interesting to hear about the weather though. This past season I was in 471 off independence pass and we were in sub-freezing temps (sub-zero a night or two) the entire trip.. would be a crazy change to experience that even for a day

Big thick an steep is why rainbow is popular I would think. If weather push elk down the ruckus on Rainbow pushes up. But then we saw sign on trees from the roads. So who knows. Good luck an take pics.

I am curious about hunting this unit this year for archery, possibly 2nd rifle as well. Used to hunting harder terrain units, I prefer it

I'm curious to know what you guys thought/think about the conditions of the passes in November?

Last edited:
@JAG recommend sending the folks who hunted this unit a PM to see if they have information. Calling out a unit by name and location will only bring in a lot more hunting pressure into the area you are looking at hunting.

Reactions: JAG
I am archery hunting there for the 1st time in this unit. If by the miracle of god I get an elk, do any of you know of a packer that is local that i can call and make arrangements with?

This year we are trying out a new unit to us. Unit 86. We are hunting 2nd rifle for deer and elk. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. I an headed out there with my family in mid June and I hope to get some scouting in.
Thanks

blacksheep
How did your hunt go in 2019? I am going to the same unit this year 2nd rifle with an antlerless tag. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I am curious about hunting this unit this year for archery, possibly 2nd rifle as well. Used to hunting harder terrain units, I prefer it
Did you hunt this unit in 2019? If so, any advice. It’ll be my first time in CO to elk hunt, 2nd rifle. I’m prepared to hike to high altitudes and off trail.

Good luck to ya. I'll be in 86 for 2nd rifle also. Not sure what to expect really, but looking forward to just seeing the mountains up close.
I’m headed there this year for 2nd rifle. I’m prepared to hike to high altitude and glass a lot.

I am archery hunting there for the 1st time in this unit. If by the miracle of god I get an elk, do any of you know of a packer that is local that i can call and make arrangements with?
Did you hunt this unit in 2019? If so, any advice. It’ll be my first time in CO to elk hunt, 2nd rifle. I’m prepared to hike to high altitudes and off trail.

How did your hunt go in 2019? I am going to the same unit this year 2nd rifle with an antlerless tag. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
We saw 3 big shooters the night before season and nothing after that. The country is very steep and rugged. There are several old burns there and that might be the place to go if you can get there. Good luck.

We saw 3 big shooters the night before season and nothing after that. The country is very steep and rugged. There are several old burns there and that might be the place to go if you can get there. Good luck.
Specific coordinates to the big shooters? Don’t ride the side by side in the wrong direction

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back