Colorado GMU 86 elk and deer

blacksheep

This year we are trying out a new unit to us. Unit 86. We are hunting 2nd rifle for deer and elk. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated. I an headed out there with my family in mid June and I hope to get some scouting in.
Thanks

blacksheep

Chippewa

Good luck to ya. I'll be in 86 for 2nd rifle also. Not sure what to expect really, but looking forward to just seeing the mountains up close.

look around the border or 86 and 82, on the top of Hayden Pass. 86 looking good this year after 2 years of the fire there. Hard to kill something on 2nd season cause Elk still high, but you will see some nice pieces if you look high. I'm going there again for 4th season or maybe just across the ST on 681. Good luck. - ColoradoHunter719

Mason326

Steep. Much steeper than it appears on google earth 3D. Prepare you heart/lungs/legs. They will be high in 2nd season rifle I would imagine. No experience with 2nd season particularly but I scouted it during archery for 4th rifle. Expect heavy or moderate hunting pressure anywhere within an 1/8-1/4 mile of a road or ATV legal/capable trail. Either be prepared for death march bushwacking hikes to get to less pressured basins or be creative and look for pockets where elk have easy access to feed and cover but are between pressured areas. Found tons of sign in an area directly below our glassing spot last year between us and a used ATV trail as we crossed to chase some far off elk. There were still some elk we could see fairly high in 4th season with 2-3 feet of snow on the ground. The elk must have 4x4/chains just like everywhere else.

There are elk there just like most any other unit, spend lots of time behind your glass and don't lose faith.

Mason326

Also, I imagine deer will be all over at that time (elevation wise). Some may still be high then but may depend on weather. Elk/deer may get split up pretty distinctly if you get a big snow high. Just speculation of course, like I said I've only hit August and November.

Chippewa

Coming from a whopping 200ft above sea level here in Muncy PA I am definitely concerned about making camp at 8000 an not even a mile west can be 12000.
Best i can do around here is hike straight up to 2000 peak. Been trying to get out every weekend with my pack weighted down.
Also wondering if maps 3D is hard to judge mountains what about the roads I see. You can make out dirt lines around San Isabel national forest or are they non motorized? One road is marked in a ways as Mosher Creek rd 35, but only so far...

Mason326

Check OnX property boundaries, USFS Motor Vehicle Use Maps (restrictions, closures, dates, etc), and even google earth for access to those little roads. A lot of those little marked roads start on gated private property. I cannot vouch for 35/Mosher with ground verification, but it appeared landlocked/gated on maps.

Do you get altitude sickness? We camped at 10,000+ last year coming from ~2-3K and we had to bail down before season started, buddy got real bad altitude sickness. If you do or are unsure, may be helpful to sleep below 8k' or to take a few days before season starts to acclimate before sleeping at higher elevations. I'd take the former route if you are time limited. We slept at around 7,500 and he was better by the next day and was able to hoof it during the day at 8,000-10,500 for the next week. If you do cardio I bet you will be just fine, coming from that low I'd focus on heart/lung/mental workouts over legs or core work.

blacksheep

I'm going out there next week and I hope I get a chance to look around. My buddy lives in Colorado Springs is going camping there in July and do some scouting. My wife's family is from Westcliffe and have access to several ranches including the Pines's, her family are all big hunters. I hope to gain a little insight from them. I am starting my workouts for October the first week of July. Cardio, legs, back and core.

Chippewa

Blacksheep, hope you get some good mountain time. I'll be taking the family to a cabin near Westcliffe next to Buck Mnt. We will be out in mid july for 3 nights. Hoping to get afew hours scouting as well. Prolly do some tourist stuff each day though. Rafting, 4 corners, an Sand Dunes. I just want to find elk...