Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado GMU 49

Walkitoff

I pulled a first season rifle bull tag in Colorado GMU 49, between Leadville and Fairplay. Anyone hunted it, and have any insights on how to approach the hunt? Here's what I'm thinking so far:

1. Focus on the south end of the unit, Fairplay side, in the lower part of the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness.
2. Start on the west side of West Buffalo Peak, and scout/hunt there and over to the east. If nothing, head north and west.
3. I have rented two llamas, so I should be plenty mobile.

Appreciate thoughts or insights. Thanks all.

I'll be in there for muzzleloader season. Like elkduds said the burn area and roads closure is definitely something I'm watching.

I was there last year for 1st rifle and there was a herd that camped out south of Fairplay in Unit 50 a couple hundred yards off the highway. I'm guessing they were moving back and forth from the closed, burn area in 49.

Watched a father-daughter duo put a stalk on that herd but come up empty. Couldn't tell how many times she shot but her dad admitted he didn't bring enough ammo.

You have a good plan. Elk should still be at Timberline for first rifle. Big country, get in shape. Curious how your llama usage goes, please post up a story!

Thanks gents. I was there over the weekend. Big country, and lots of vertical feet. Thanks for the insight on the burn area. I'll keep posting and let you know how it goes.

I killed two bulls in unit 49. One was on the edge of the wilderness and one was a little bit farther to the east, but still nearly the same area. It has been several years, so, fires etc., may change things. I think that your plan is good, for the most part.

Looks like my Son and I are putting in for 49 Archery Elk this year. Got to burn the 6 points we have while I can still climb. Had been doing over the counter but man that's tough. Anybody know of a good area to stay (cabin) so that we would have good access to the area without having to drive hours each day? Any other info would be great. Thanks.

@Walkitoff is a busy guy with many growing responsibilities. As his less-important hunting partner, I can comment since obligations of importance prevent him from monitoring HT with obsession. After a five-day hunt with multiple bull sightings, but no elk on the ground, he made a successful stalk on one and gave it a free llama ride back to the trailhead. He hunted almost exclusively within the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness.

Last edited:
Maybe I can revive this thread instead of starting a new one. My buddy and I drew muzzle loader tags in this unit for this fall. So far from all the e-scouting I've done and calling the DOW, our plan is similar to what @Walkitoff had lain out, except for having llamas. We were also looking at areas farther north, Cave Creek and Twelve Mile Creek country, maybe start there then head for the wilderness after a little altitude acclimation.
Questions for the group:
How was the winter on the herd?
How hard was the burn in 2018? Spotty or a running crown fire that obliterated everything? Was there regeneration getting established last year?
Is there an area that most hunters head to or hit harder that could be avoided? It took us 13 points to draw so I'm not anticipating much pressure but...
I know this can change, but how are the dirt roads in the unit? Good with a 4x4 pickup or is using an ATV a better choice? Thinking about camping lower to increase our mobility to drive or ATV to different spots if necessary.
Thanks in advance for any info!

@Walkitoff is a busy guy with many growing responsibilities. As his less-important hunting partner, I can comment since obligations of importance prevent him from monitoring HT with obsession. After a five-day hunt with multiple bull sightings, but no elk on the ground, he made a successful stalk on one and gave it a free llama ride back to the trailhead. He hunted almost exclusively within the Buffalo Peaks Wilderness.
favor us with a photo?

My brother in law's brother has a cabin west of Fairplay and posted some pictures of nice 6x6 bulls that visit his cabin during the hunting season. Tried to get him to rope one for me but his wife will not let us shoot one there.

I'm not saying one way or the other but this might be a start on how some people may or may not hunt 49

Hunted it ML last year:

Shoot me a PM if u want, I can probably fill in some info. Didn't have ATV, most roads OK for a truck but high clearance would definitely help.

I'm not saying one way or the other but this might be a start on how some people may or may not hunt 49

Watched it several times already, figured out pretty quick where it was by their general description of where they were going and recognized where they were pointing on the map. Got me fired up with all the elk they saw.

Back