Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado GMU 38

Ryan509

Hello,

First off thanks to anyone taking the time to read this and offer advice if they have any. I am looking at coming from out of state for a rifle elk hunt. I used to live in the Denver area and hunted 38 for one rifle season. Was in position to take a nice bull (brand new hunter issues) and my wife shot a small one on the last day. We were hunting the forest (an area with tons of small pieces of private mixed in) not far west of Golden Gate Canyon/119. That was my first hunting experience and I had the help of my father in law who grew up hunting that area and all of Colorado. Unfortunately he isn't here to help me out anymore and I never made it back to elk country with him.

I have found a few posts on various forums about unit 38 and reviews are pretty rough. I am drawn to this area just because family used to own land and a cabin in the area so I am somewhat familiar with it.

My concern is, did I have an exceptional season by having multiple encounters in 5 days or is it realistic to experience that again? I believe I can still access the area I hunted but obviously would have to avoid private lands. I am considering a first rifle season which has the fewest hunters and highest success rates but are those bulls being taken on primarily private ground? Does it seem reasonable to hunt this area again, figuring maybe it doesn't get much pressure due to the amount of private and somewhat limited access? The area I am familiar with is 9-10000 feet. Being early October is the James Peak area and likely alternative place to locate them if it is warmer? Any other ideas?

I know this is a long post and thanks again. I don't expect anyone to tell me it is a sure thing or where to go, I just wanted to throw my concerns/plans out there for criticism/suggestions from more knowledgeable people. It is a large investment and I want to make a wise decision.

Thanks again for any feedback.

There is no better experience than boots on the ground. If you've had success in the area before, chances are good that you can have success there again. I've hunted unit 38 and had a shot at a nice bull as well. Remember that 38 is the closest unit to the most populated area of CO. You will likely run into other hunters every day even if there is limited access. Use the pressure to your advantage and situate yourself in an area where the elk will be pushed to. I cannot say for certain, but I would say the success rates are largely private with some public mixed in. Best of luck!

There is no better experience than boots on the ground. If you've had success in the area before, chances are good that you can have success there again. I've hunted unit 38 and had a shot at a nice bull as well. Remember that 38 is the closest unit to the most populated area of CO. You will likely run into other hunters every day even if there is limited access. Use the pressure to your advantage and situate yourself in an area where the elk will be pushed to. I cannot say for certain, but I would say the success rates are largely private with some public mixed in. Best of luck!

Thanks broadhead. Any idea on likelihood of them being at elevation of 9-10,000 in mid October? Is that a range where they would normally be during that time? Does the James peak area have many elk? I may get to go scout the area once or twice this summer to familiarize myself.

Thanks broadhead. Any idea on likelihood of them being at elevation of 9-10,000 in mid October? Is that a range where they would normally be during that time? Does the James peak area have many elk? I may get to go scout the area once or twice this summer to familiarize myself.

I don't usually rifle hunt, so I can't speak directly to this time of year. I am a couple years into elk hunting so take this with a grain of salt, but I personally don't believe elevation plays as big a role in elk movement as people think. Yes, bulls will be higher during archery season and will migrate down further with weather. There is no denying that. But, during archery season I have found bulls between 7k feet and 10.5k feet within a few miles of each other in the same unit. All of them were bugling. As everyone always says, "The elk are where the elk are." I believe their movement is based more on good feed and bedding grounds. I do not know much about the James Peak area. Definitely get a scouting trip in, if possible!

Ryan,
I have hunted Colorado my whole life and can assure you that if an area is productive it will usually always have a success chance though productivity changes yearly. I have hunted the same small patch of land every year and have had years I barely see anything all week and then last year we took 5 elk in 4 days. All you can do now is have faith there are elk somewhere in that area and really get the experience of hunting elk. If you gain the experience of where to look and how to hunt them you will see far more elk in an area where the inexperienced never see anything. Just go out there and do it, don’t let yourself over think things or you will have a poor experience.

I have a few deer tags for this unit this year. Hoping for a little rut action in late Nov. Is the rut still happening then?

I have a few deer tags for this unit this year. Hoping for a little rut action in late Nov. Is the rut still happening then?
Hey man I got 3rd season buck tags for this unit I have never hunted it and I haven’t been able to find much on the deer in this unit. How was your hunt back in 2021 any advice. How much deer did you see running through there? Any spots/areas you would recommend? Any info would be greatly appreciated🙏

Hey man I got 3rd season buck tags for this unit I have never hunted it and I haven’t been able to find much on the deer in this unit. How was your hunt back in 2021 any advice. How much deer did you see running through there? Any spots/areas you would recommend? Any info would be greatly appreciated🙏
Welcome to HT

Is this the extent of research you've put into your hunt?
I have found a couple of other threads on gmu 38 but I’ve gone into onX and found public land access that I plan to go scout during first and second season to see if I can even see any deer and find out their patterns. Based off of what I’ve heard the deer in this unit especially around third season after all the hunting pressure builds up on top of the snow that Useally comes around third season the deer are pushed onto the lower end of the unit that is mostly private property.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back