Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Colorado forest closures

Oak

Expert
"Due to unprecedented and historic fire conditions, the USDA Forest Service’s Arapaho and Roosevelt National Forests is announcing a temporary closure of all National Forest land in Clear Creek, Jefferson, Gilpin, Boulder, and Larimer counties, effective at midnight Oct. 21. This decision will be re-evaluated daily as conditions change."

IMG_1153.JPG

so brutal. i've already heard people blame the recent fires "on hunters"; as biased as that may be, true or untrue, this is for the best

i have until 5 pm on november 6 to turn in my deer tag. i ain't giving up yet. thank god for state wildlife areas.... i hope

Additional refund options for hunters impacted by Forest Service closures due to wildfires

A bummer for sure. Personally, I support the closure even though it spells the end of my second rifle deer hunt. The conditions are just crazy. Seeing as we've had two fires start in two days in Boulder County we just have to be careful for the immediate future. Doesn't mean I like it! Now, I'm hoping the Ice fire doesn't close down unit 70 for 3rd season.

Cold temps and snow showers for the weekend, it wouldn't take much to turn things around. I've got a buck tag and my kid has a doe, deer are just for fun anyway, still have my safety elk.

Cool feature of this web site, when I started to write a similar thread the web site popped up similar posting titles to see if anyone had posted on the subject already. Great feature.

Good luck to all you hunt talkers this fall and you all stay safe.

My real concern is that no one will turn in their tags and we'll all be crowded into smaller portions of our hunt units. Oh well, just one more crazy part of this year.

^ that's exactly why i might still turn mine in.

i assume we're all banking on the state wildlife areas in 191 remaining an option.

if all like 650 3rd season tag holders decide to still go... yikes

i wonder if cpw would tell me how many people have turned in their 3rd season tags, cause i assume they're not putting them back on the leftover list

i wonder if cpw would tell me how many people have turned in their 3rd season tags, cause i assume they're not putting them back on the leftover list
I just called the hunt planner and they don't have exact numbers on refunds. He did say they are not re-issuing the tags.

Based on recent fire activity from the East Troublesome fire, you can be assured there will be no national forest access the rest of the year in unit 18 north of Highway 40.
Colorado hunting units + MODIS and VIIRS (FIRMS) 24hr Layers. Essentially those are heat spots detected by satellites which is what inciweb uses to draw the fire outlines. These are active hot spots in last 24 hours.

1603470829080.png

7 days
1603470810023.png

From the update posted a few minutes ago:

"As of this morning, the fire areas have received about 6-12 inches of snow and continued light snowfall is expected until mid-day today. Much of the temperatures have dropped down to single digits with some areas dropping to negative temperatures with windchill. The snow has stopped fire activity in lighter fuels, but large downed logs and other large fuels under the forest canopy are still expected to smolder. The snow has slowed fire activity; however, it is not expected to be enough to put the fire out. Temperatures are forecasted to gradually warm back up beginning Tuesday."

Back