Colorado Elk Hunting

RiverRatt

Hey guys this will be my first year going elk hunting and bear hunting. I've done a bunch of E scouting where my group is going and pretty excited to go. I watch a lot of post on Facebook and here to read successful and un successful post. I've read some post of the area we are hunting and getting nervous about our choice in area about being any elk there. How many of you have done the same thing and still went to the area you planned to hunt and still saw elk where others haven't or have you changed locations due to other people's post and not seeing elk where you planned to hunt. Maybe this is a stupid question but just getting nervous on my first elk hunt. I would just like to see some for my first trip.

TIA

It is Colorado you are hunting the largest population of elk in the world. You can throw a dart at a map of Colorado and find elk where it lands. That being said "You find elk where they are" or is it "elk are where you find them"? Watch Randy Newbergs videos and listen to his podcasts. Elk 101 &Gritty Bowman have great info. Do your homework, take notes, put in miles both on foot and glassing...oh and most importantly enjoy your learning experience in elk country....the knowledge you will gain is more important than the harvest!

Elk will move up to 10 miles a day any time they feel like it. They also are known to travel in big loops, sometimes 50-70 miles long. Where people didn't see any elk for weeks can become the hot spot overnight. Just remember they have to eat a ridiculous amount of food every day (I've heard 20 lbs), so they have to be eating and moving regularly. Get out there, find fresh (still oozing) sign, and you're close.

Hey guys this will be my first year going elk hunting and bear hunting. I've done a bunch of E scouting where my group is going and pretty excited to go. I watch a lot of post on Facebook and here to read successful and un successful post. I've read some post of the area we are hunting and getting nervous about our choice in area about being any elk there. How many of you have done the same thing and still went to the area you planned to hunt and still saw elk where others haven't or have you changed locations due to other people's post and not seeing elk where you planned to hunt. Maybe this is a stupid question but just getting nervous on my first elk hunt. I would just like to see some for my first trip.

TIA

I'm nervous things will go to plan every time I head out. If you want to shoot me a PM I can shoot holes in your plan and/or make suggestions.

It is only natural to doubt your plan leading up to a hunt. I do it every year. But it is the internet o take it with a grain of salt. If all of your homework like calling biologists, e scouting, studying topo maps, etc is saying their should be elk in that spot you have to check it out. Dont check it out because Joe schmo on the world wide web said not to go there. He could be trying to cover his honey hole, or he may have never gotten out of the truck.

It's natural to get nervous, but all I can say is to have faith in your plan, but also have a couple backup spots just in case. Also, it's easy to get anxious about getting an elk on the ground. All I can say to that is try to slow down and enjoy it.

My advice is dont “elk hunt” just hunt. I spent years “elk hunting” watching the old videos of meadows and wallows where elk “should be”. Then I put into practice all the skills from hunting everything else and boom, there they were.

food, water, shelter, sanctuary. Find a place with all and there they will be.

Trust your instincts, exhaust your resources (both physical and mental), and try to to enjoy the ride... you’ll find your destination!

Paralysis by analysis. Happens all the time to me.

But, “just go, man!”
I’m going to further this with hunt like you mean it. I just got back from a deer hunt I almost pulled the pin on because of all the hunters in there opening weekend.

I went anyway, and hunted like I expected to find animals. I did, one really nice one. There is a big difference between a half assed hike with a gun and actually hunting.

Thanks guys, just been overwhelmed with 2020 and this being my bucket list hunt I'm excited. I'd love to bring one home but I'm realistic and do understand it's hunting. I need to unwind and just relax. I love waking and already have couple spots picked out 4 to 5 miles back into this property. It's about 6 miles back into the border on the north side before private.

Man I feel like i could have been the one to make this post. Im just about to leave for my first elk hunt in CO 3rd rifle OTC. Leaving tomorrow from Ohio and I'm just so excited to get out there. Have a game plan to try to avoid the masses, but we shall see. Anytime in the woods with my brothers and dad is better than pretty much anything else. Elk or not and as long as we come home safe. Hope your hunt went well RiverRatt or if you havent gone yet best of luck!

Hey guys, got back on Sunday Oct 31st was in Colorado 11 days. For the first 3 days we watched smoke roll on the horizon and on the 3rd night it snowed 7". We stayed in a Cabela's Alaskan Guide Outfitters Tent but because of the burn ban no wood stove. Tried buddy heaters but at 9000' in the tent they would only run for about 2 hours. 4th night it got down to -20 degrees and glad I brought hot hands to put in my sleeping bag. We were able to sneak into a herd of about 100 elk after the snow moved in and buddy got a shot but guy a tree branch he didn't see. The herd blew out and ran in front of a guy in our group who took a nice 4x6 bull. We got in a small herd later in the week but couldn't seal the deal. It was probably the hardest physically and mentally hunt I've been on but had a great time. The views alone were worth the trip. Thanks guys for replying to my post I appreciate the feedback.

Good luck to everyone who all have tags.IMG_20201026_144419852_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201026_101302078_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201026_101302078_HDR.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20201027_170130008_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20201027_170130008_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 36
Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members