Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado Elk archery

ky4998

Ive been looking at some units in colorado for september archery hunt this year, 2022. Ive been looking at GMU 78. Its closer to me because i am a Texas resident so it'll cut my drive down by hours and it's got a decent hunt score on huntscore.com. I was wondering what the locals or past hunter that have hunted in Colorado for OTC tags if that was a good option for an area. I'm open to going all the way to the northern border if i have to but id rather not. Any website i could look at to see where theres good elk movement? Thank guys!

Call out to Co fish and game they will give you all kinds of info. They also have vids out on most of the units 78 is a draw now I believe but abt 100% draw and you can hnt 77 an 78

Ive been looking at some units in colorado for september archery hunt this year, 2022. Ive been looking at GMU 78. Its closer to me because i am a Texas resident so it'll cut my drive down by hours and it's got a decent hunt score on huntscore.com. I was wondering what the locals or past hunter that have hunted in Colorado for OTC tags if that was a good option for an area. I'm open to going all the way to the northern border if i have to but id rather not. Any website i could look at to see where theres good elk movement? Thank guys!
Unit 78 is draw. You draw unit 77 and you can hunt 78,771.

Since they released the wolves and the grizzly bears coming down from WY the elk are no longer around in CO. I hear AZ has the elk numbers now.
haha believe me if elk were in Texas public lands i wouldn't leave. HATE cold weather and mountains.

You will have to look into alternative Colorado options if you have no points and would recommend GoHunt for looking at your odds. Happy to answer any questions you have on which units you could consider this year.

what do you mean by points? i’ve called colorado fish and game and the gentlemen told me all i need to do is show up to a walmart or somewhere that sell the licenses and purchase at OTC tag. and yes i’ve been using gohunt the past month trying to figure out what unit i can go to with an OTC tag but there’s nothing more reliable then hearing residents or old timers or people that have already hunted in the area ya know? i’m thinking about unit 42, 14, 22, and maybe 18 or 28. realistically i could hit all 4 units and more because i’ll be down there from Aug 30 until september 12, so i’ve got a good while to take an elk and even if i don’t it’s still an experience of a lifetime.

Looks like your options of "42, 14, 22, and maybe 18 or 28" are units you can hunt with an OTC archery tag. As others have said, 78 is a draw tag, but there is a good chance you may be able to pick one up on leftovers or as a returned tag.

And by "points" they are referring to preference points. Detailed information on Colorado's point system can be found here: CO Big Game Guide (Pages 8-10)

SMW is correct. I was referring to alternatives as in OTC with 78 being a draw. Sounds like you have figured out GoHunt in selecting archery OTC to see what options you have. Sounds like you're on the right track. Best of luck this year.

SMW is correct. I was referring to alternatives as in OTC with 78 being a draw. Sounds like you have figured out GoHunt in selecting archery OTC to see what options you have. Sounds like you're on the right track. Best of luck this year.
awesome! i appreciate the help. good luck to you this year too.

hahaha i get it. Now that i think about it, im kinda glad there isn't any elk in Texas. Texas is already a huge place for out of state hunters to come hunt, elk would make it even worse. This is the year where I'm disliked as a non resident vs. disliking other that aren't residents hunting in Texas. Hopefully the people in CO are as friendly as the people here in Texas so I can get some pointer while I'm up there. Or my body might be found on the side of a mountain haha.

hahaha i get it. Now that i think about it, im kinda glad there isn't any elk in Texas. Texas is already a huge place for out of state hunters to come hunt, elk would make it even worse. This is the year where I'm disliked as a non resident vs. disliking other that aren't residents hunting in Texas. Hopefully the people in CO are as friendly as the people here in Texas so I can get some pointer while I'm up there. Or my body might be found on the side of a mountain haha.
There are elk on public land in Texas. I apply every year. Also wild elk on private land too.

Kinda irrelevant, a relative of mine has seen elk in the northern part of Big Bend National Park in west Texas. There is no season on them if you can get access to private land that has them. They are considered exotic by TPWD. ;)

PM sent

Did you ever decide on a unit? I've narrowed mine down to a few options and will be driving up from DFW.

I will be in Colorado September 14-24 for OTC Archery. Looking at areas 21, 22 and 31. I am a GoHunt member and have been looking at maps for over a year now. I have a few points picked out. Knowing some of them will be a lost cause. I’m looking to get miles off the road and will be using my bivy. Going with one other guy. My hopes are to hear elk. Zero expectations of shooting an elk year one. Just want to get away from people and enjoy a week in the mountains. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Back