Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado Elk (4 days only)

EODRay

As usual, Uncle Sam has changed my hunting plans. I guess I had a part in it, but it's easier to blame the Army. I got back from another 1yr deployment June 2012. After getting my draw for area 50 (Colorado) this year for archery, I planned to spend 2-3 weeks hiking the mountains this Sep.

Well, now I'm deploying again (9mo this time) around the end of Sep. My block leave is only going to be two weeks. My wife was immediately like.....you're not going to spend your entire block leave hunting are you?! :eek: It was more of a statement than a question. :mad:

So now with a family vacation in there, I only have a 4 day kitchen pass. I will be heading out on 8 Sep and returning on 11 Sep. My wife and kids make a lot of sacrifices that allow me to do a job that I Love so I try to make concessions when I can....I volunteered for this particular deployment. The unit needed me and I was available.

My plan is to spend all 4 days and three nights on the mountain. Sleep when it's too dark to hunt and be hunting when the sun comes up. This will only be my second Elk hunt. Last year during 3rd rifle season and an OTC tag, I struck out after 9 days of hiking.....but I loved every minute of it.

If anyone with a strong back and good boots wants to go along, you are more than welcome........provided that you're an ethical hunter. Unless you drew for this area, I think that an OTC bear tag is all that would be available to you for hunting though.

Thanks for your Service, sorry about your short hunting season, Wish you the best of luck on your hunt, Be safe on your deployment, Steve

Hope you get to maximize the abbreviated opportunity and thanks much for your service.

Hopefully you tag out on the first day and not have to worry about the other 3 days! Good luck on your hunt, and thank you for your service!

Your service is greatly appreciated, hope you score big on your hunt. Remember, all it takes is one day!

Ah... yes block leave. Some times I miss being in the Army, but come hunting season I dont. Seems like we went to NTC every deer season.

Wish I could go with you, as I have an interest in the GMU

Hey brother, shoot me a pm with your dates, I may be able to come along for support/calling/meat hauling (I am hunting 2nd in 25/26). If nothing else we can get together and shoot the bull before you exfil.

Hey brother, shoot me a pm with your dates, I may be able to come along for support/calling/meat hauling (I am hunting 2nd in 25/26). If nothing else we can get together and shoot the bull before you exfil.

Thanks for all the well wished everyone.
SFCB, PM sent

JC, hunting on post is a pain in the butt between range closures and the additional requirements (license and classes) that they require. I know some guys that are fairly successful but I wouldn't recommend it. Now that there is a full DIV here the points for the draw are inflated well above the opportunity as well. Better off saving deer points for an AFA deer hunt :) Now, that is what I am waiting on....only 6 years left!!!

The hunting was incredible on Ft Drum. I've got a buddy still there and he sends me pics of the turkeys and deer that shut the streets down as they walk across...lol

John, If you want to be treated like a 4 year old again, go hunt Ft Carson. Guys at range control are a real class act too :rolleyes:

I use to hunt it a lot back in the late 90's, but that's when it only had 11,000 troops, but now.....:eek:

John, If you want to be treated like a 4 year old again, go hunt Ft Carson. Guys at range control are a real class act too :rolleyes:

I use to hunt it a lot back in the late 90's, but that's when it only had 11,000 troops, but now.....:eek:

:hump: exactly ......don't forget the care-free process of registering any weapons you bring on post.

The hunting was incredible on Ft Drum. I've got a buddy still there and he sends me pics of the turkeys and deer that shut the streets down as they walk across...lol

I tried Turkey hunting this year on Ft. Carson and it was so frustrating that it wasn't worth it. I found out where the turkeys were, and had all the classes and down range passes. They would never update what areas are going to be open......then when you would head out there, the areas with the Turkey were never open. So you would have to go cold turkey (pun intended) to some other area......and they were never there.

Then after three tips out there, the deleted my down range pass from the system and I just gave up trying to go out there. Completly not worth it. :W:

As usual, Uncle Sam has changed my hunting plans. I guess I had a part in it, but it's easier to blame the Army. I got back from another 1yr deployment June 2012. After getting my draw for area 50 (Colorado) this year for archery, I planned to spend 2-3 weeks hiking the mountains this Sep.

Well, now I'm deploying again (9mo this time) around the end of Sep. My block leave is only going to be two weeks. My wife was immediately like.....you're not going to spend your entire block leave hunting are you?! :eek: It was more of a statement than a question. :mad:

So now with a family vacation in there, I only have a 4 day kitchen pass. I will be heading out on 8 Sep and returning on 11 Sep. My wife and kids make a lot of sacrifices that allow me to do a job that I Love so I try to make concessions when I can....I volunteered for this particular deployment. The unit needed me and I was available.

My plan is to spend all 4 days and three nights on the mountain. Sleep when it's too dark to hunt and be hunting when the sun comes up. This will only be my second Elk hunt. Last year during 3rd rifle season and an OTC tag, I struck out after 9 days of hiking.....but I loved every minute of it.

If anyone with a strong back and good boots wants to go along, you are more than welcome........provided that you're an ethical hunter. Unless you drew for this area, I think that an OTC bear tag is all that would be available to you for hunting though.

Ray,

I know this is an old thread but if you're ever back in Colorado and would like company from a fellow bomb tech let me know, I have a Crew Cab, strong back and tough feet.

-Dave

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back