Colorado Deer, Flat Tops

jvanderlinde

So im that guy, but not the new guy. I picked up a 3rd season deer tag up there on a spur of the moment impulse buy. Ive never been there but have hunted other units near by frequently. Anyone been up there 1st or second rifle? Im more looking for a good up to date weather report/ what am i getting myself into, also anyone know of a good place to setup camp that i wont get stranded in if it snows a bunch? I know it gets crowded, and it can snow alot.
PMs are fine
Thanks for all the help

likely to be some more good snow to fall before opening of 3rd.

i'll be in the general vicinity of the flattops looking for deer

How much snow is good before it becomes bad?

depends on where you're hunting i'd say.

i would think by end of next week there should be enough snow to at least initiate movement towards wintering grounds

Good luck with that.

I’ve been in GMU 24 for 2nd season elk, and we were NOT on the tops. We got 16” of snow in 24 hours. We were backpack camping and it was no fun trying to get out. I would keep a very close on on the weather.

Again, good luck.

Good luck with that.

I’ve been in GMU 24 for 2nd season elk, and we were NOT on the tops. We got 16” of snow in 24 hours. We were backpack camping and it was no fun trying to get out. I would keep a very close on on the weather.

Again, good luck.

Over the last couple of years this has happened to me a handful of times, friends, and other hunt talkers.
It’s the main reason I’m so adamant against, teepee tents, quilts, hammocks, trekking pole style tents, etc. All that crap is designed for summer use and it’s perfect for September, but in October you need a good pad, great sleeping bad, and a solid tent with poles that can support snow without collapsing.

Really experienced hunters with tons of days in the field can make some of those setups work, because they know what their doing but unless you have camped in the snow a bunch leave them at home.

Also this has nothing to do with you personally or you gear, the comment and a couple like it this season made me thing of it.

wllm1313,

No offense was taken. We have the same perspective. I've camped out of a backpack a number of times back in there. And I've learned a lot every time. There is no placement for good old fashioned experience.

And I didn't even touch on the my most difficult aspect...the proper physical conditioning required for a hunt like this. Until you've done it once you just "can't" understand what it'll be like. It's like trying to tell a non-parent what being a parent is like. Until you've done it...you just can't appreciate the perspective.

Back