Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado deer advice

retterath

My question is do I save my Colorado deer points till I get like 7-8 points or use my two points? I was thinking of maybe hunting Colorado every other or every two years. I have read quite a few posts on forums where people have saved 7-8 points in Colorado to deer hunt and saw only two decent bucks and had to deal with deer,elk,bear and grouse hunters through out there hunt. I would be rifle hunting and looking for 170-180+ bucks. Can a guy have a good hunt and find some decent deer with 1 or two point units if you hunt hard? I was maybe thinking if I can find a decent 1 to 2 point unit and hunt it every couple years I could kill some good bucks. What are your guys thoughts or experience on this subject. Thanks

I saw several nice bucks around Craig Colorado last fall. If you can get permission to get on a private ranch in that area you should do good.

If you have the ability to hunt them every couple of years, that's what I would do. I've accumulated several points simply because I'm limited on how many hunts I can do out west every year and just haven't hunted deer yet. If I could, I would hunt units that take fewer points more often rather than building up points for one hunt.

There's a lot of public land in units 3/301 around Craig and Maybell. You can draw the tag usually with 1 point for a second season tag and sometimes 1 or maybe 2 for a 3rd season tag, or save a couple more for a 4th season tag. There's a really nice campground in Maybell right outside of public land with electric and showers. Me and Andy were out there a couple of years ago and saw bucks every day and had elk tags in our pockets. We did see one of the biggest bucks I've ever seen in my life out there. There's a ton of public land out there, but still have a map and GPS because the outfitters like to try and run people off. But, if you want to hunt just about every other year and see decent bucks, that's where I'd send you. But, watch when you apply, because I believe doe tags are still an A tag. So, don't waste your choices on a doe choice as a gimmee just in case tag just for meat and a trip to Colorado. There's actually a decent probability of drawing the 2nd or 3rd season tags with 0 points as a first choice, just so you know. But, we used to be able to draw 3rd season as second choice, but not anymore.

Last edited:
2-3 points in CO will get you an awesome 3rd season rifle hunt in CO. You can't go wrong with 3, 301, 4, 5, 11, 211, 22, 31, 41, 42, 421, 53, or 62 just to name a few :).

Last edited:
Appreciate the advice on this. I agree on hunting an area to get to know it and also able to have an elk tag in your pocket also. I will take a look at those areas you specified and do some research on them and google earth looking. Are lots of the people out hunting those public land road hunters? I enjoy putting on miles and finding some good areas to hunt and spike out if needed but third season might be a little chilly!

I'm getting ready to use my points in Co before I end up in nowhere land as far as points are concerned.From all I can tell, you don't end up with a much better hunt with 6-7 points as 3-4 for deer and elk so why sit on them unless your going to wait out the long haul of glory units

I spent lot of the weekend looking at units to hunt that are going to be easy to draw and these are the ones i narrowed it down too. 3,11,15,22,25,26,301. I'm gonna order some too maps and start checking out the area a little better, is there a unit that you would think is better than the other or just pick one?

There's units that only take one point that have a 60% success rate. Some 30" bucks are taken at times if that's your thing.

Research.

Really matters on how you want to hunt. All the units you listed above are good. 3, 301 are completely different than 11 and so on. How about a bit more info. What season do you prefer, backpack in, hunt from truck, sleep in motel?

I'm planning on probably third season, i will be either staying in my wall tent or backpacking tent to spike out if needed. Im not a road hunter and will put on miles to try and find deer.

So fellas, new to the site and all, and I am in the same quandry. I have 9 points, and want to burn them. My question is, early rifle or 3rd season? I am a non-res, so I want a hunt that actually has more than 5 days to it. I'm just not that lucky....

So fellas, new to the site and all, and I am in the same quandry. I have 9 points, and want to burn them. My question is, early rifle or 3rd season? I am a non-res, so I want a hunt that actually has more than 5 days to it. I'm just not that lucky....

If your legs and back are strong, early season at timberline. Only thing that beats that is 4th season being able to look over 100 bucks before pulling the trigger - my opinion anyway

Thank you, that is a big relief to me. I love the high country, and always prefer to backpack hunt. I don't need to see 100 bucks, just 1. I'm about the experience more than I am about filling a tag. Any recommendations?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back