Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado Copper Muzzleloader Bullets

Shannerdrake, what kind of velocities are you pushing the 270 copper BOR locks? These seem to group the best out of my Encore but a little concerned about on game performance. I shot a muley, quartering away, and was not impressed with penetration or opening of the BOR lock copper. Might have been a poor shot angle on my part though. Thanks.
I am getting 1950 according to my chrono. I think it might have been a fluke or a shot angle. Technically speaking, if you have both poor penetration AND poor opening, something is up. Bullets that don't open tend to over penetrate, bullets that over expand tend to under penetrate.

Hit a bull last week at 21 yds with Federal Bor Loc MZ 270 grain and 100 grains pyrodex. It was a high double lung with nice exit and he went 53 yds and dropped. My buddy was watching the bull head in into the sun and said he could see the blood just spray out of the exit upon the shot. Not exactly a tough test, but I was happy for now. My buddy killed a bull two days earlier with THORs. No complaints from him either. Spine hit bull went a short distance.

I bought a couple more packs of Federals and hope to keep giving them a workout the next couple years in various critters.

Happy hunting! furfishngame

I used coppers in my fast twist hawken, killed a buffalo with them. They work well when used as designed.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back