Colorado Copper Muzzleloader Bullets

Bowhuntrben

OK, so I know basically nothing about muzzleloaders. I got a TC Triumph several years ago and have never shot anything with it. When I bought the gun, Cabelas set me up with maxi-balls for the idea that I might take it to Colorado and sabots for Minnesota. Well, here I am many years later and getting in the mode of shooting all copper ammo but still knowing nothing about muzzleloaders and will likely have my dad put in for a muzzy elk tag next year in CO.

What are you guys using for all copper bullets in your muzzys? I'm sure most of you know, but sabots are not allowed in Colorado, so looking for a non-sabot version.

Looking at some other threads, it looks like Thor Full Bore Conicals have been used successfully though I see reviews saying no pass through. What results have you guys seen?

Has anybody used the Federal Premium BOR Lock MZ Trophy Copper?

Any others I should be considering?

What weight bullet would you recommend?

I may likely have more questions later since I'm a dummy when it comes to muzzleloaders....

Schism

Thor 250’s shoot well in my Accura V2 but I haven’t had the chance to shoot a bull with them yet. From a bench I’m able to shoot 1MOA groups at 100 and 1.5MOA groups at 200 using front and rear bags. @Flatrock has used both the 250 and 300 grain Thor bullets to harvest Colorado bulls. Both bullets performed well and I see no reason for me to switch. He may chime in with his first hand knowledge.

elkantlers

Hornady FPB bullets have served me well. They load easy and shoot very good in all my rifles.

Addicting

I cringe with the thought of full copper in my Muzzleloaders. I have had poor performance with them. They don’t seem to have enough FPS to open reliably. I have recovered 2 from whitetails with little to no deformities, just the plastic tip missing. I switched over to the 240g XTP Mag and it’s like they get hit with lightning.

With Colorado’s full bore rule it appears THOR bullets are getting the best reviews. If you use them please report back on how they did.

bushman13

I don't think the market has caught up with the demand. There should be more copper conicals and solids offered in general. I say this because almost every muzzy bullet out there is designed for deer sized animals. No I don't want to shoot a hollow point at an elk (unless it is copper), thanks though.

<--Corrected

Last edited:

Jerky

In 2018 I shot a pronghorn buck with the Thor 250 grain. Double lung pass through. The buck ran 10 -20 yards and went down. No complaints from me.

vanish

We've been using the Thor for pronghorn. Bullets look exactly like what Luke posted after impact.

We've taken 5 pronghorn bucks with them, all one shot kills.

Flatrock

This bullet was recovered from an elk last year. 90 grains of Triple 7 powder, 300 grain Thor bullet, 140 yards. Broadside shot, hit right through the lungs. No shoulder blades hit. Bullet was recovered on offside of the body.

20191105_142355.jpg20191105_142358.jpg

Last edited:

Flatrock

Bullet from this year from another elk. 50-60 yards or so. Quartering to me. Hit the front shoulder and bullet was on offside ribs. 110 grains of Blackhorn powder, 250 grain Thor bullet. 20191105_142406.jpg20191105_142410.jpg