Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado Copper Muzzleloader Bullets

Bowhuntrben

OK, so I know basically nothing about muzzleloaders. I got a TC Triumph several years ago and have never shot anything with it. When I bought the gun, Cabelas set me up with maxi-balls for the idea that I might take it to Colorado and sabots for Minnesota. Well, here I am many years later and getting in the mode of shooting all copper ammo but still knowing nothing about muzzleloaders and will likely have my dad put in for a muzzy elk tag next year in CO.

What are you guys using for all copper bullets in your muzzys? I'm sure most of you know, but sabots are not allowed in Colorado, so looking for a non-sabot version.

Looking at some other threads, it looks like Thor Full Bore Conicals have been used successfully though I see reviews saying no pass through. What results have you guys seen?

Has anybody used the Federal Premium BOR Lock MZ Trophy Copper?

Any others I should be considering?

What weight bullet would you recommend?

I may likely have more questions later since I'm a dummy when it comes to muzzleloaders....

Thor 250’s shoot well in my Accura V2 but I haven’t had the chance to shoot a bull with them yet. From a bench I’m able to shoot 1MOA groups at 100 and 1.5MOA groups at 200 using front and rear bags. @Flatrock has used both the 250 and 300 grain Thor bullets to harvest Colorado bulls. Both bullets performed well and I see no reason for me to switch. He may chime in with his first hand knowledge.

Hornady FPB bullets have served me well. They load easy and shoot very good in all my rifles.

I cringe with the thought of full copper in my Muzzleloaders. I have had poor performance with them. They don’t seem to have enough FPS to open reliably. I have recovered 2 from whitetails with little to no deformities, just the plastic tip missing. I switched over to the 240g XTP Mag and it’s like they get hit with lightning.

With Colorado’s full bore rule it appears THOR bullets are getting the best reviews. If you use them please report back on how they did.

Here's a BOR Lock at 75yds after going through two water-filled milk jugs and a log, my buddy shot a big bull with a BOR Lock in Sept with great results...

Attachments

• 59103893341__D4357A63-1A31-4DDF-B2EA-781909B50816.JPG
    59103893341__D4357A63-1A31-4DDF-B2EA-781909B50816.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 18
  • 59103926725__147E77CA-BA46-4A85-A60E-49CA866F46BF.JPG
    59103926725__147E77CA-BA46-4A85-A60E-49CA866F46BF.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
I don't think the market has caught up with the demand. There should be more copper conicals and solids offered in general. I say this because almost every muzzy bullet out there is designed for deer sized animals. No I don't want to shoot a hollow point at an elk (unless it is copper), thanks though.

<--Corrected

Last edited:
In 2018 I shot a pronghorn buck with the Thor 250 grain. Double lung pass through. The buck ran 10 -20 yards and went down. No complaints from me.

We've been using the Thor for pronghorn. Bullets look exactly like what Luke posted after impact.

We've taken 5 pronghorn bucks with them, all one shot kills.

This bullet was recovered from an elk last year. 90 grains of Triple 7 powder, 300 grain Thor bullet, 140 yards. Broadside shot, hit right through the lungs. No shoulder blades hit. Bullet was recovered on offside of the body.

20191105_142355.jpg20191105_142358.jpg

Last edited:
Thor 250’s shoot well in my Accura V2 but I haven’t had the chance to shoot a bull with them yet. From a bench I’m able to shoot 1MOA groups at 100 and 1.5MOA groups at 200 using front and rear bags. @Flatrock has used both the 250 and 300 grain Thor bullets to harvest Colorado bulls. Both bullets performed well and I see no reason for me to switch. He may chime in with his first hand knowledge.
Great post, I just ordered the Thor 250 grain because I was shooting a power belt 338 and my rear sight was maxed out in elevation. This should bring my shot up.

I have a thread going here (just a couple down from this one) called CO Muzzleloader Prep. I'm using the Solid Copper BOR Lock. They are so easy to use and have shot well in every gun I have tried them in regardless of the load. I also am a huge fan of solid copper. I actually won't use lead on anything I am going to eat. There is undeniable research proving that lead fragments in animals. I am also of the mindset that a bullet should stay together.

I am sure Thor's are awesome, but I didn't want to mess with the sizing and ordering of the gun-specific loads. The BOR Locks are available about anywhere. If I lose or forget my bullets on a hunt, I don't have the luxury of picking up a box of .501 Thors anywhere. However, if I'm within driving distance of a sporting goods store of even a Walmart, I bet they will have BOR Locks. Just last weekend I was shooting with my friend and the session went long and I ran out of my BOR Locks, so I shot his and then stopped at Cabela's on the way home and got another pack. That same friend is ML hunting with me in September.

Good Luck!

I have three muzzleloaders, and all of them shoot BOR Lock bullets very accurately. I've used them on CO muzzleloader hunts, including my antelope hunt last year. I've found them to preform exceptionally well, and have zero complaints.

I received 50+ .501 and 15 .502 Thor’s with a used rifle. I found even the .501’s to be too hard to load. .503 no excuses on the other hand are great. I have a tag on the Kaibab where non-lead is encouraged, so I was hoping they’d work for me.

I have a thread going here (just a couple down from this one) called CO Muzzleloader Prep. I'm using the Solid Copper BOR Lock. They are so easy to use and have shot well in every gun I have tried them in regardless of the load. I also am a huge fan of solid copper. I actually won't use lead on anything I am going to eat. There is undeniable research proving that lead fragments in animals. I am also of the mindset that a bullet should stay together.

I am sure Thor's are awesome, but I didn't want to mess with the sizing and ordering of the gun-specific loads. The BOR Locks are available about anywhere. If I lose or forget my bullets on a hunt, I don't have the luxury of picking up a box of .501 Thors anywhere. However, if I'm within driving distance of a sporting goods store of even a Walmart, I bet they will have BOR Locks. Just last weekend I was shooting with my friend and the session went long and I ran out of my BOR Locks, so I shot his and then stopped at Cabela's on the way home and got another pack. That same friend is ML hunting with me in September.

Good Luck!
Shannerdrake, what kind of velocities are you pushing the 270 copper BOR locks? These seem to group the best out of my Encore but a little concerned about on game performance. I shot a muley, quartering away, and was not impressed with penetration or opening of the BOR lock copper. Might have been a poor shot angle on my part though. Thanks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back