Colorado Buck Quality

Is Colorado’s later season structure having an effect on its buck quality and age structure?

• Absolutely

Votes: 37 61.7%
  • Maybe a little

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Not at all

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

rogerthat

With Colorado’s later season structure for deer shifting most hunts back a week. What is your opinion on this season structure? I definitely think it has affected buck quality negativily. What do you think?

I think it has more to do with Drought, Habitat, and Winterkill.

All across the west in every state , I'm hearing about hunters "not seeing the kind of bucks I expect" CA, NV, ID, WY, and MT. Every season since Archery...

i'd like to hear @Oak s thoughts on all of this in particular. i don't have much to go on, other than ever since i killed my first mule deer buck 4 years ago, i've killed a progressively bigger one every year.

i'm still not convinced we're over hunting them. maybe in light of later season dates, habitat degradation, winter kill, and disease, we could ease up. but i'm still not convinced hunting is our primary factor for decline.

my primary thought here: is 3 years of a particularly late 3rd rifle enough to drastically alter the landscape of mule deer age structure and quality?

i can hear Montana FWP screaming the answer to that question.

but honestly? is it enough? was the quality anecdotally declining over the years spanning 2010-2020? what about 2000-2010?

confounding variables: massive resident population boom, massive continued residential housing boom, massive recreational crowding booms, inevitable loss of habitat and wintering grounds associated with all of that.

decades of that coupled with harsh cwd management in some DAUs versus 3-years of later season dates?

my primary thought here: is 3 years of a particularly late 3rd rifle enough to drastically alter the landscape of mule age structure and quality?

but honestly? is it enough? was the quality anecdotally declining over the years spanning 2010-2020? what about 2000-2010?

confounding variables: massive resident population boom, massive continued residential housing boom, massive recreational crowding booms, inevitable loss of habitat and wintering grounds associated with all of that.

decades of that couple with cwd management versus 3-years of later season dates?
I think it is. I have a friend who owns 60 sections of land locked private land, no public access. He and his family can take the older age class bucks off it in one year and set it back for a year or two in trophy quality. The point of my post is that older age class bucks(higher quality antler growth) are very sensitive to harvest. Even one year of high success harvest of the older age class bucks 4-11 years old can take an entire unit down a step in quality and age class very fast.

my primary thought here: is 3 years of a particularly late 3rd rifle enough to drastically alter the landscape of mule deer age structure and quality?

decades of that coupled with harsh cwd management in some DAUs versus 3-years of later season dates?
I think it depends a lot on the unit and how it gets hunted, I can think of examples of units where most of the bucks rut on leased private land where it will have very little impact, not in the outfitter's interest to overharvest so no matter how many tags and how late they are it won't significantly change... on the other hand units where bucks mostly rut on public land it has the potential to have a huge impact, a couple of days can be the change from the older age class being killed moving from a 3.5-year-old to a 5.5-year-old as said above, there just aren't that many 5.5-year-old and older bucks roaming around, start killing more than the occasional one and quality goes down really quick.

maybe i'm conflating two things given the montana thread.

here we're focused on hunting affecting quality and age structure, not necessarily being a major factor in any apparent or real mule deer overall decline, right?

I think it is. I have a friend who owns 60 sections of land locked private land, no public access. He and his family can take the older age class bucks off it in one year and set it back for a year or two in trophy quality. The point of my post is that older age class bucks(higher quality antler growth) are very sensitive to harvest. Even one year of high success harvest of the older age class bucks 4-11 years old can take an entire unit down a step in quality and age class very fast.
I find this statement hard to believe. 60 sections is 60 square miles?? No way 1 family is harvesting enough mature bucks in 1 year to do what your saying. Unless there are 60 family members or not prime habitat covering that area. But I will let you go on

here we're focused on hunting affecting quality and age structure, not necessarily being a major factor in any apparent or real mule deer overall decline, right?
that's how I read it, I think the objective to reduce the percentage of mature bucks for CWD reasons will have some general population level effects just because of additional tags, a tremendous amount of hunters are in the "if it's brown it's down" camp and releasing additional tags will lead to increased overall harvest, not just big bucks, if anything it will lead to a higher percentage of young bucks harvested since they have no brains to start with... having been around CO for a while I can say that there was a day where you could set out to get a 190 buck and realistically expect to do so in a couple of years if you were dedicated to it, I don't think that is very realistic now...

Double the tags and push the dates 2 weeks back... yeah that's gonna have an effect lol

View attachment 251665

View attachment 2516661

View attachment 251670

View attachment 251667
View attachment 251669

tag quotas notwithstanding if you ask me. i feel like those are the areas where CWD management would be a confounding variable.

there are units with more 3rd season buck tags than 2nd season bucks tags, that's also CWD management at its finest.

IMO we're trying to consider simply a later date here being a primary driver of drop in quality.

I can only speak to 2nd rifle season this year in the units I hunted, and have hunted for years. I did vote for not sure. I did not have a buck tag this year, but I certainly was paying attention. I can't say I saw less or more in quantity or quality. I saw bucks every day of the season, and at least 1 shooter buck was seen each day. I define a shooter buck as a mature 4x4 +, and a heavy body, just a good representative buck and not necessarily a trophy. I saw dinks as well, every day. Also saw a couple dink racks with big bodies. I would not have had a hard time filling a buck tag with a shooter buck. I was not looking particularly hard for bucks either, but I was out everyday of the season as I had an elk tag and doe tag. At the processor, I saw the same thing. There were some decent racks, and there were some dinks. I did see the absolutely tiniest bodied buck with a average rack at the processor that I've ever seen. I guarantee that hunter experienced ground shrinkage. That little guy was probably 22-23" and reasonable tall, but was smaller in body than an average doe. The doe I offloaded was average, and it was bigger than the buck I saw offloaded. I'd say opportunity for a decent buck is about the same as it has been the last 10-20 years in the areas I hunted.

tag quotas notwithstanding if you ask me. i feel like those are the areas where CWD management would be a confounding variable.

there are units with more 3rd season buck tags than 2nd season bucks tags, that's also CWD management at its finest.

IMO we're trying to consider simply a later date here being a primary driver of drop in quality.
as @wllm says it depends on how hunters use it, but it will be the driver to some extent, I should post pictures of my yard bucks as an example, they are rutting to the point where fighting deer are waking me up regularly right now but the biggest bucks are a pair of 170's ish bucks, based on past experience within the next week or so a giant that I can't find the rest of the year will pop out of the woodwork for 4-5 days and then disappear, maybe to pop back up the same time next year, there are two or three bucks like this that I see almost every year, an entirely different kind of deer than the "kinda old, kinda big" bucks that are a dime a dozen in my subdivision... if the season is open when this happens it is likely the only time anyone would have a chance at those bucks, and it is a difference of a couple of days... if you can't hunt late someone would have to get incredibly lucky to catch one of those old bucks during daylight, when a week later they are chasing a doe across a road at noon...

I find this statement hard to believe. 60 sections is 60 square miles?? No way 1 family is harvesting enough mature bucks in 1 year to do what your saying. Unless there are 60 family members or not prime habitat covering that area. But I will let you go on
Yeah. 4-5 bucks in a year on this ranch make up that small spot on the normal curve of outstanding genetics and age class. This is sagebrush country. Not sure what the deer densities would be. I will guess 7 per sq. mile-ish.

Edit: so that would be 420 deer on the ranch. With the top end being 1% of the deer. Sounds about right. Just think how sensitive that small population of big boys is to harvest. That’s the point I’m making

Right. I saw a ridiculous amount of deer. Just age class of bucks due to their sensitivity to harvest during the rut

I don't know the ranch @rogerthat is talking about but I could easily see his claim happening. All depends on what the neighbors do, If there are other owners with in holdings and if there are public roads.

Reactions: DFS
I posted this on another thread but I’ll post it here as well. When 5 guys who have never stepped foot in a unit can take out this many bucks with no prior experience in the unit(3rd season), I would suspect the date change will have an impact. Maybe not in the next 2-5 years but for the long haul I think buck quality will diminish: 8041840B-6CA6-44F2-9985-52076781DBEE.png

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back