Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Colorado Blaze for Archery Hunters (New) Law - CBA Post

Am I the only one who sees this worded like you as an archery hunter would have to take the course to avoid wearing orange? are they teaching you matrix moves to dodge bullets? don't call in an effective manner?
it seems as worded that there wouldn't be any further education for the muzzleloader hunters, who seem to be the ones in need of more training, also, why is CO so hung up on 500 Square inches of orange?...
500 is pretty standard language, I think most states that require blaze vests + hat say 500.🤷‍♂️

Kentucky law states “
Hunter orange required!
Hunters and people accompany-
ing them must wear solid, unbro- ken hunter orange color visible from all sides on the head, back and chest when hunting for any species dur- ing modern gun, muzzleloader and youth gun deer seasons, or a firearm elk or firearm bear season. However, hunter orange is not required when hunting waterfowl or doves dur-
ing a gun deer, elk or bear season, or when hunting furbearers at night during a legal furbearer season.”

Seems to me a few reckless individuals are the problem here and not bowhunters in general.

I haven't done my research, but has the idea of moving the muzzleloader season so it doesn't overlap with archery come up? Not sure when it would be, and there are so many seasons already in CO that it doesn't seem like there is much space for another season. A five day season after archery is over, especially now that they have pushed 1st rifle back? That would be a fun time to be in the woods!

I haven't done my research, but has the idea of moving the muzzleloader season so it doesn't overlap with archery come up? Not sure when it would be, and there are so many seasons already in CO that it doesn't seem like there is much space for another season. A five day season after archery is over, especially now that they have pushed 1st rifle back? That would be a fun time to be in the woods!
It has been floated, but requires one of:

- ending archery season early (either by shortening the season by a week or starting it earlier)
- shortening the 2 week ‘break‘ in big game seasons (early October) that precedes 1st rifle elk.

Neither are popular (and I am not sure there has been A proposal to move archery start back into august again, which would also not be popular)

These events happen because people do not identify their targets. There are thousands of bear hunters, sheep hunters, moose hunters, bird hunters, hikers, bird watchers, peak baggers, nudists, anglers, etc. in the September woods, and none of them are being shot for not wearing blaze orange. Elk hunters are shooting elk hunters because they hear an "elk" calling over in the trees and see some movement. And it's not happening frequently.

These events happen because people do not identify their targets. There are thousands of bear hunters, sheep hunters, moose hunters, bird hunters, hikers, bird watchers, peak baggers, nudists, anglers, etc. in the September woods, and none of them are being shot for not wearing blaze orange. Elk hunters are shooting elk hunters because they hear an "elk" calling over in the trees and see some movement. And it's not happening frequently.
Have to agree with this. A few idiots are ruining things for everyone else. For the life of me, I don’t see how anyone could possibly mistake a human being for an elk, deer, turkey, bear, etc.

Has a rifle Hunter wearing orange ever been shot?
A rifle hunter was killed by his hunting partner in Colorado during the 2020 season. The shooter claimed the victim had removed his orange while kneeling by a wounded elk. Haven’t kept up with the court case to know for sure if that was true or not.

Colorado archery should be 2 seasons, the first 10 days and last 10 days of September. Two different tags and seasons. 5 days for muzzy in the middle. No overlap.
I was just pontificating 15m ago over text to my main archery partner that that’s likely where we end up in 5/10 years. Maybe sooner.

Colorado does something most states don’t do, (allow muzzleloaders during the rut with archery hunters), a muzzleloader shoots an archer and the solution is to try to make the archers less shootable. Does that seem backwards to anyone else?

I also like how they prefer the option of “on public land only”. Don’t want to inconvenience the rich hunters on private.
Rich hunters on private land? I must be a millionaire then, lol.
If thy are going to require it, then private or public it should apply.

Iowa early muzzleloader season coincides with the archery season. Muzzy hunters wear orange and archery hunters do not. Personally I don't think it's a good idea but I can't think of any accidents happening because of it. I'm sure I'm wrong but very rare. I do believe that is where you better know what you are shooting at.

Has a rifle Hunter wearing orange ever been shot?

I've had other hunters shoot deer in my direction twice while I was wearing orange and clearly visible, ie I'm in the open.

Here's a case in Saskatchewan, mind you, the hunter was wearing a red hoodie which is legal here (along with CSA approved reflective clothing, white and blaze). Hunters here are required by law to wear a hat and upper garnment of legal colours.

"Police officers re-created the scene on three separate occasions. They used the same gun to sight an officer dressed similarly to Darchuk, from the same distance and when the sun was in the same position as when Adamko fired the shot.

All three officers said they could clearly tell they were looking at a person."

The shooter made a very important comment while being questioned by police, which IMO is probably one of the most common reason these shootings happen:

“there was tension there to make the shot before it was too late.”

Blaze orange obviously works which is why I chose to wear it outside of when required. But I think the biggest contributing factor to these shooting is still peer pressure/the obsession to fill your tag and poor gun/hunter safety.

Got my booklet in the mail today and saw this. Not sure if it's new in there this year but thought about this thread anyhow...
Yes it is, and unfortunately, it's a little misleading. That is the overlap for muzzy and archery, but there are rifle seasons going on the entire archery season (bear, sheep, etc).

Also, for future reference, that brochure is available online...if you want to cut-n-paste the pertinent text instead of posting a picture of the half the page and your leg ;)

Not the point of the thread, but I also noticed they are making tag returns/exchanges even easier/cheaper, respectively.

1645117903780.png

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back