Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado Blaze for Archery Hunters (New) Law - CBA Post

Colorado does something most states don’t do, (allow muzzleloaders during the rut with archery hunters), a muzzleloader shoots an archer and the solution is to try to make the archers less shootable. Does that seem backwards to anyone else?

I also like how they prefer the option of “on public land only”. Don’t want to inconvenience the rich hunters on private.

Yeah but does the law specify how blaze that orange must be?

Seriously though, I'm surprised this wasn't already law. Here I think the law is worded that blaze orange is required "anytime a firearms season is open". There's a youth hunting day early during the archery deer season when the youth are allowed to use any weapon. Blaze is required for everyone, even if not hunting with a youth hunter using a rifle.

The rifle bear season overlaps for the entire frigging month. The last several fatalities due to hunting negligence have been caused by nonresident hunters. We should ban them first. PA, WV, and Minnesota were the last 3 I believe.
The proposed options 1 and 2 are only talking about making the blaze orange requirement during the traditional muzzleloader season west of I-25. So roughly 9 days in the middle of September.

I think if the traditional muzzleloader shooting was like it was decades ago with shots being in the 20-100 yard range, this new law would really seem silly. However, now that traditional muzzleloaders are shooting further and further I do actually tend to side with the proposed options. However, I think option 3 would make more people happy with the law change.

For the record, I wear at least a orange hat in every state I hunt out west and in Alaska for my own personal safety and comfort when I possess a rifle. While bowhunting, I always have a orange flag on my backpack. If nothing else, I feel it helps me help other hunters by showing my location (so we don't interrupt each others hunt). In my home state, I sit in tree stands all the time with an orange hat on, on private land, even when bowhunting. Doesn't make any difference to incoming deer.

I can understand why they want to do it, obviously for hunter's safety. If that is the case, then why only require the hunter wear the orange? Is there any less chance of a guide, or camera crew, or hiker or any other person recreating to be mistaken for game? I'm not saying everyone in the woods during gun season should have to wear orange, but if it is required for safety reasons, then they should make everyone wear it. Picture a guide concealed in a bush using an elk call to try to lure a bull in for his hunter. Who has a greater chance of being mistaken for game, the guide sounding like an elk, or the hunter holding a rifle?

Last edited:
The last two muzzy vs archer incidents were at close range, under 100 yards. There will never be a solution that appeases all of the user groups. There are too many people in the woods at the same time competing for the same resource. Additionally, some of these people lack basic common sense. What I don't see in any of the proposals is additional hunter safety/education requirements for people participating in primitive seasons. I think that should be a prerequisite to a license for these seasons due to the nature of hunting during the rut and the proximity with which people are engaging animals and each other. I'd also be open to separating archery/muzzy by unit for some portion of the season. Some units are archery only, others muzzy only. Maybe a stupid idea, maybe not, idk. 🤷‍♂️

What I don't see in any of the proposals is additional hunter safety/education requirements for people participating in primitive seasons. I think that should be a prerequisite to a license for these seasons due to the nature of hunting during the rut and the proximity with which people are engaging animals and each other.
One of the survey questions asks if you would be willing to be required to take such an online course to get your license. You might have your wish.

You can't hold everyone's hands all the time. Hunter shootings happen during rifle season when everyone's wearing orange too. If orange made that much of a difference, you'd have deaths on deaths where orange isn't required. I think the biggest issue here is lack of training, gun safety and the absolute obsession to kill something. Some guys out East literally admit to shooting at sound and movement... LITERALLY. Then you have guys on here being adamant that binoculars are useless and a waste of money/precious ounces and claim to scope everything that moves.

I personally wear either a vest or hat when walking in/out of the bush during archery and ML season here and will have a flashlight on as soon as it gets dark. I also wear a big ass blaze panel on my coyote brown backpack, just in case. Too many idiots around who point and shoot without thinking. A guy was shot a few years ago here in Sk during or immediately after shooting light. He was wearing orange and red, head to toe in the middle of a field. People re-enacted the same conditions with the exact same clothing and at the same time of day. Every single time you could clearly tell from the shooter's POV that it was a hunter in the field, the guy shot anyway for whatever reason claiming it was an elk I believe.

You're not going to solve this problem with orange, you will by removing careless idiots from the equation and alas, this will never happen.

One of the survey questions asks if you would be willing to be required to take such an online course to get your license. You might have your wish.
Am I the only one who sees this worded like you as an archery hunter would have to take the course to avoid wearing orange? are they teaching you matrix moves to dodge bullets? don't call in an effective manner?
it seems as worded that there wouldn't be any further education for the muzzleloader hunters, who seem to be the ones in need of more training, also, why is CO so hung up on 500 Square inches of orange?...

You can't hold everyone's hands all the time. Hunter shootings happen during rifle season when everyone's wearing orange too. If orange made that much of a difference, you'd have deaths on deaths where orange isn't required. I think the biggest issue here is lack of training, gun safety and the absolute obsession to kill something. Some guys out East literally admit to shooting at sound and movement... LITERALLY. Then you have guys on here being adamant that binoculars are useless and a waste of money/precious ounces and claim to scope everything that moves.

I personally wear either a vest or hat when walking in/out of the bush during archery and ML season here and will have a flashlight on as soon as it gets dark. I also wear a big ass blaze panel on my coyote brown backpack, just in case. Too many idiots around who point and shoot without thinking. A guy was shot a few years ago here in Sk during or immediately after shooting light. He was wearing orange and red, head to toe in the middle of a field. People re-enacted the same conditions with the exact same clothing and at the same time of day. Every single time you could clearly tell from the shooter's POV that it was a hunter in the field, the guy shot anyway for whatever reason claiming it was an elk I believe.

You're not going to solve this problem with orange, you will by removing careless idiots from the equation and alas, this will never happen.
While you are certainly correct in most of what you said, there is proof that wearing orange clothing does indeed reduce accidents. You can look at any number of states and their hunter accidents before and after the law went into affect in their state. It does help and even if it only saves one accident from happening, it is worth it.

i'm gonna wear an orange hat during archery anyway, if i ever buy a bow and do archery.

cpw expanding orange requirements into other seasons doesn't bother me. i get that people dont wanna though.

the colorado bowhuners association having a foot stomping red faced tantrum over the idea is funny to me tho - soooo their style.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back