Colorado Bighorn sheep unit S9

OffDutyNinja

Wondering if anyone has any experience/knowledge/info on Colorado sheep unit S9 in the Sangre de Cristo range that they might be willing to share? My brother drew a rifle ram tag that starts on September 8th. This is not an area he or I have ever hunted, so our first couple trips have been spent looking for the best accessibility into the high country. Planning on making a couple more weekend trips before season starts and just wanted to check in here to see if anyone had any advice about the area for a couple of novice sheep hunters. Thanks.

Welcome to hunttalk. Tried to send a pm, not sure if you received it. I can help with information on drainages from North Colony to Venable on the Westcliffe (east side).

Call the biologist for the area, also look at the CPW website. They have a lot if the info you are looking for.

Call the biologist for the area, also look at the CPW website. They have a lot if the info you are looking for.
Thanks for the replies fellas. We’ve already spoken to the biologist for that area and I have worked for CPW in the past and am very familiar with and definitely utilize a lot of info found on the website. We’ve already mapped out all the harvest results for last 5 years, however we know that any guided sheep hunt harvest locations are not accurate. Just hoping some on this forum might have past hunting experiences in this area that we could utilize as well. Thanks again.

...We’ve already mapped out all the harvest results for last 5 years, however we know that any guided sheep hunt harvest locations are not accurate...
Say it isn't so!

Actually one year when I was hunting in one of Montana's Unlimited sheep units I finished off a ram that a guided hunter had wounded and lost, then I took the hunter, guide, and outfitter to the dead ram.

The next year l checked the harvest stats, and the ram that I had finished off was reported to have been killed 5 miles south of the actual kill site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iceman1992
Back