Caribou Gear Tarp

Colorado Assault Weapons Ban Submitted

All couldn't any weapon be considered an assault weapon or item for that matter depending how you use it?
It is defined in the bill. It is NOT a weapon used to commit assault (as you suggest), it is "Assault Weapon" as defined in the bill. That is true of every law on every topic on the books and every contract I have ever read, so this is a really silly angle of attack.

In the failed CO bill it had to be semi-auto and it had to have a "special feature". But the "special features" weren't very special so I would guess 95% of semi-auto rifles would be covered, 10% of semi-auto shotguns (none of them useful for hunting) and 20% of semi-auto handguns (mostly covers AR-pistols and dumbly pistols threaded for suppressors). But feel free to read the definition for yourself.

Give me a definition of an “assault” weapon then. How is this administration going to give a definition of an “assault” weapon when they can’t even define what a woman is?
Look up the definition in the legislation. It doesn’t matter what I think the definition is.

Your gender definition is a red herring.

I welcome your insights after you have actually read the thing --- what you are suggesting is not at all accurate.
i understand the various parts that define what an “assault” weapon is made up of but the term was originally referencing military weapons….selective fire rifles. Correct me if I’m wrong but those are already illegal without jumping through many hoops. It was turned into a term to describe civilian obtainable firearms by a gun control group who thought it would be more menacing and scary for the public.

So, what happens if an “assault” weapons ban passes and gun violence doesn’t go down appreciably? Do we expand the definition, or include other firearms?

To be honest, if these bans were really about saving lives we would be talking about a handgun ban. FAR more death is attributed to them than “assault” rifles, correct? So why not handguns if it’s truly about saving lives?

i understand the various parts that define what an “assault” weapon is made up of but the term was originally referencing military weapons….selective fire rifles. Correct me if I’m wrong but those are already illegal without jumping through many hoops. It was turned into a term to describe civilian obtainable firearms by a gun control group who thought it would be more menacing and scary for the public.

So, what happens if an “assault” weapons ban passes and gun violence doesn’t go down appreciably? Do we expand the definition, or include other firearms?

To be honest, if these bans were really about saving lives we would be talking about a handgun ban. FAR more death is attributed to them than “assault” rifles, correct? So why not handguns if it’s truly about saving lives?
Bingo. Because they rely on making up terms like “assault weapon” to scare people, and because they don’t actually care about saving lives.

Drunk driving and blaming cars is a good corollary to mass shooting and blaming guns. Major injury or death is result for the innocent bystander for the perpetrator actions.

Drunk driving deaths have been decreased by 37% since 1982. During this time population has increased, more people are Driving, cars now go faster.

Source
www.responsibility.org

Drunk Driving Fatality Statistics

Since 1982, drunk driving fatalities on our nation's roadways have decreased 37%, while total traffic fatalities have declined 2%. Among persons under 21, drunk driving fatalities have decreased 83%. Despite this progress, we still have ...
www.responsibility.org
www.responsibility.org

So. What controls can be placed around guns and their ownership, availability, use, enforcement that will have similar results (e.g. less mass shootings) to the controls placed around automobiles and it’s ownership, availability, use, enforcement , punishment.

That's because it's such a ridiculous argument. It is exactly like blaming people who drive cars for drunks that kill people while driving. It's not the car's fault or the designer or the manufacturer. It's not the other people who drive cars' fault. No one even has that thought. But when applied to guns, all of a sudden it somehow makes sense to some percentage of people. Probably people that don't see the utility of guns (protecting from tyranny) because it's a nebulous hazard ("it will never happen in our modern society").

Last edited:
This is a great point comparing drunk drivers / autos to shootings / guns. Similar result; dead innocent people caused by bad behavior.

So. How can we take some of the controls placed around autos and drinking (as I believe dunk driving deaths have dropped significantly over the last 40 years) and apply it to guns?
It’s called personal responsibility and in this country it’s sorely lacking. It’s easier and more acceptable today to blame everything except the person. Just look at what happened in Chicago with that mob of teens. The mayor and officials blew it off as kids being kids during the nice weather, no accountability.

To your point above, should we blame forks or junk food for the obesity problem? Why should it be about personal responsibility…that would hurt feelings. How many lives a year does poor health choices result in?

This is a great point comparing drunk drivers / autos to shootings / guns. Similar result; dead innocent people caused by bad behavior.

So. How can we take some of the controls placed around autos and drinking (as I believe dunk driving deaths have dropped significantly over the last 40 years) and apply it to guns?
Do you have stats to prove that the majority of gun deaths are the result of drinking? Im afraid you’re not making yourself clear. What “controls” are you talking about?

In the failed CO bill it had to be semi-auto and it had to have a "special feature". But the "special features" weren't very special so I would guess 95% of semi-auto rifles would be covered, 10% of semi-auto shotguns (none of them useful for hunting) and 20% of semi-auto handguns (mostly covers AR-pistols and dumbly pistols threaded for suppressors).

...and this is why it didn't pass, because their definition of "assault weapon" is hugely tainted by emotion and not fact, as usual. Also, reiterating Joe Biden's fallacy that these weapons "shoot bullets that explode on impact" during the committee hearing shows the political left still has a huge fundamental misunderstanding of how firearms work. They just end up looking stupid, every time, but the death by a thousand cuts technique will keep driving restrictions forward.

...and this is why it didn't pass, because their definition of "assault weapon" is hugely tainted by emotion and not fact, as usual. Also, reiterating Joe Biden's fallacy that these weapons "shoot bullets that explode on impact" during the committee hearing shows the political left still has a huge fundamental misunderstanding of how firearms work. They just end up looking stupid, every time, but the death by a thousand cuts technique will keep driving restrictions forward.
Think of how much $$ in campaign contributions they get by spreading false info on guns and gun violence. Can’t have that money train stop.

In the failed CO bill it had to be semi-auto and it had to have a "special feature". But the "special features" weren't very special so I would guess 95% of semi-auto rifles would be covered, 10% of semi-auto shotguns (none of them useful for hunting) and 20% of semi-auto handguns (mostly covers AR-pistols and dumbly pistols threaded for suppressors). But feel free to read the definition for yourself.
???? Objection, relevancy! 🤣

Here’s some reality:

for those who only form their opinions from headlines:

Taken from another forum-

In 2022 there were 45222 total gun related deaths, which means with a population of 328m, that represents .0138%

of that 45,222, 54% were suicides, leaving 19,445

Of that 19,445, 1097 were shot by law enforcement. Another 492 were accidental shootings (the majority of which were under the age of 24)

Leaving 17,856

In those remaining shootings, 3% were made up of assault rifles , with what I expect is a very liberal interpretation of what an assault rifle is, along with 1% being shotguns. 54% were handguns, the remaining instances were not specifically stated. The number of people that die by assault rifles in this country are about the same as those who die of carbon monoxide. more than twice as many people die from hypothermia, 9x as many people die from dehydration, 11x as many people die from malnutrition

While admittedly this is a meaningless stat, if you were divide the 17,856 number by 50 , representing the total number of states, that gives you 357, or an average of less than 1 fatal shooting per day in each state

Looking at 10 traditionally gun violent city total numbers (some numbers were from 2021 but there shouldn't be a significant difference in totals)

St. Louis, MO - 196
Chicago, IL - 556
Detroit, MI - 293
Indianapolis, IN - 293
New Orleans, LA - 280
Washington, DC - 203
Baltimore, MD - 333
Columbus, OH - 173
Los Angeles, CA - 382
New York, NY - 246

for a total of 2955, or about 17% of all gun fatalities after removing suicide, law enforcement and accidental death in the United States.

While these numbers are concerning, based on these numbers, there doesn't appear to be an epidemic of gun violence in this country, and for the overwhelming majority, the reality of facing gun violence should be a much smaller concern than many Americans believe.

If you remove additional risk factors such as not living in the 60 counties that produce a high % of gun violence, do not interact with known felons and of course do not engage in criminal activities, gun violence in the daily life of an American is statistically meaningless. That's pretty cavalier to say to a country indoctrinated in the evils of guns, but even with increases in gun violence , its hard to argue fear of gun violence is a realistic concern for Americans avoiding those 3 factors.

It’s always been that way.

Btw- By comparison, A 2018 John Hopkins study found that over 250,000 people die from medical malpractice in the United States each year which represents .08% of the population. I also won’t get into the deaths just from fentanyl.

I didn’t know the NRA gave $$ to the Dems?
They should. If there was a covert way to give money to Dems for the sole purpose of proposing gun legislation, would lead to a huge windfall for the NRA.
My own purposes would be better served by giving money to Michigan and Wisconsin Dems to propose severe gun legislation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back