Colorado archery elk

ky4998

Im a Texas resident and i will be taking my first every elk hunt this September with a bow hopefully. i've researched over the counter either sex tags but still a little confused on the units for Colorado or were to hunt per unit or how i would purchase a certain unit. Also ive been researching some of the must needed gear most people use for a solo elk hunt. Any information on the purchasing of tags and units or a gear list for a solo archery hunt would be greatly appreciated! Ive been dreaming of his hunt since i was a little kid and im finally being able to take it after 4 years being over seas in the military. Thank you all in advance!!

Colorado has a ton of information on their website that’s pretty good for beginners. Pick a unit that has good elk populations on public land, pick out a bunch of spots you want to explore on the map, and go hike until you find some elk.

That’s really all there is to it. You’ll figure out the gear and how to find elk as you go, but general tag elk hunting basically comes down to putting in a lot of effort by walking and glassing a lot in places where elk live. That’s all I do to find elk in new places.

You mentioned you are a little consfused on the Colorado OTC units. Did you find the OTC unit map in the big game regs? If so, maybe specify what you are wondering

Randy Newburg has a youtube video about Colorado tags. GoHunt is a good place if you want to try for a unit with a limited number of tags. Promo code RANDY at GoHunt gets you $50 towards gear. Might as well put in for a LE unit and at least start building points. Nice thing if you go OTC is you can jump to different units if you want to be mobile.

The Elk Collective is a pretty incredible video based course with info for solo hunters. Plenty of pack dumps on Youtube too.

Buy your small game license in April and apply for an elk license or just get a point. In August the otc tags are available. When you get to CO anywhere that sells licenses will have elk otc licenses. Bring a hunters safety card.

Like others have said otc tags are good unit wide in all otc states. Changes are coming in the otc world so be ready for a huge decline in the amount of units available to hunt otc.

Map of otc units in Co for archery.

You mentioned you are a little consfused on the Colorado OTC units. Did you find the OTC unit map in the big game regs? If so, maybe specify what you are wondering

Randy Newburg has a youtube video about Colorado tags. GoHunt is a good place if you want to try for a unit with a limited number of tags. Promo code RANDY at GoHunt gets you $50 towards gear. Might as well put in for a LE unit and at least start building points. Nice thing if you go OTC is you can jump to different units if you want to be mobile.

The Elk Collective is a pretty incredible video based course with info for solo hunters. Plenty of pack dumps on Youtube too.
like in texas if i get a hunting licenses i’m able to hunt all public land state side. do i need to get a specific license or sign up for a certain unit i’m looking at? also what do you mean by points?

I wouldn't be afraid to put in for the archery draw. You don't necessarily need points to be successful. Research the units as mentioned and give it a shot. If you don't draw and still want to hunt the otc you can. Just know that those are dwindling and from my understanding becoming very over crowded.

Buy your small game license in April and apply for an elk license or just get a point. In August the otc tags are available. When you get to CO anywhere that sells licenses will have elk otc licenses. Bring a hunters safety card.

Like others have said otc tags are good unit wide in all otc states. Changes are coming in the otc world so be ready for a huge decline in the amount of units available to hunt otc.

Map of otc units in Co for archery.
will a texas hunters safety card work or will i need a colorado hunters safety card? what do you mean by points?

I wouldn't be afraid to put in for the archery draw. You don't necessarily need points to be successful. Research the units as mentioned and give it a shot. If you don't draw and still want to hunt the otc you can. Just know that those are dwindling and from my understanding becoming very over crowded.
i’ve looked at draws but from what i saw it’s already to late for draws. what’s the point system?

The application is due in early April. Gor to the cdow web page and it will explain preference points.

will a texas hunters safety card work or will i need a colorado hunters safety card? what do you mean by points?
Hunters safety cards are reciprocated anywhere in NOrth America and most of the world. It is a standardized curriculum through the international hunters safety education association.

The Colorado big game draw deadline is usually the or 2nd Tuesday of April I believe. You will only be out a few bucks if you are planning on hunting CO anyways. If you get a point this year next year you will be able to have a chance at a unit that usually takes 1 point to draw or you can keep building points to get into units with less tags, limited entry.

Unless it has changed, you have to get approval from Colorado of your out of state hunter safety. A friend and I missed a day of hunting 3 years ago waiting for approval as the warden made us go to a local office and get confirmation from Missouri. You can take care of this before your trip, I can’t remember how. Check with the Colorado website.

Colorado archery draw tags for elk may take points (years to draw)
Im a Texas resident and i will be taking my first every elk hunt this September with a bow hopefully. i've researched over the counter either sex tags but still a little confused on the units for Colorado or were to hunt per unit or how i would purchase a certain unit. Also ive been researching some of the must needed gear most people use for a solo elk hunt. Any information on the purchasing of tags and units or a gear list for a solo archery hunt would be greatly appreciated! Ive been dreaming of his hunt since i was a little kid and im finally being able to take it after 4 years being over seas in the military. Thank you all in advance!!

Your allowed 2 elk tags here in Co. The over counter License for antlerless elk Archery is listed a B tag.

The over counter License Antlered elk and either sex elk Archery is list as A tag.

You can Kill legal bull and cow or 2 cows. Page 36 2021 regs explain how to get more than one elk tag

Last edited:
Back