Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Colorado 1st rifle season elk tactics?

Clambdin

Planning on hunting an area I know well this year first rifle season, honestly I've hunted the area many times 3rd rifle but never first..So I'm looking for advice on what I should be doing different to find elk 1st season vs third?

Thanks

Depends on the weather, but I think the obvious answer is that the elk are apt to be higher up. In my (limited) experience, they're also pretty easy going on opening day of the first season, so I'd recommend getting there early and locating some elk that you can get on the first morning. Good luck!

I agree with Dougfir that the elk will be easier going on opening morning. You may want to consider taking a day to scout before the season. If you can find elk the day before season opener, they will more than likely be in the same place the next day. Also, the elk may not be as high as you think that time of year as they haven't been pushed around by hunters yet. The past 2 seasons I have found elk in the lower portions of the unit I was hunting. You can also get a better feel for this with a day scouting. Be sure to sit down and be silent as well as bulls will probably still be bugling.

It's been 10 years since I last hunted the first season, but in 2006 and 2007 I found the Bulls grouped up with large cow/calf groups and we're still rutting. Some of the Bulls had split up into bachelor groups. I found most of the elk at the 9500 to 11000 foot range. But they were not in their summer ranges, I'd looked there too and only found old sign. Like the other said arrive a day early and try to glass from a distance. I'd also try to determine where they will head once they get spooked.

Glassing spots in 3rd season may not be good for glassing first season. Lots more leaves still on the trees 1st season, if it's anything like where I hunt. I felt pretty stupid the first time I realized that fact. Don't be like me!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back