Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado 1st Rifle Gear Weight

My tripod and spotting scope are the big items I carry that puts my weight over. It never fails though, if I leave them at camp I end up wanting them and if I carry them with me I never end up pulling them out.

I think 35lbs for a pack including the rifle is pretty decent including a days worth of food and water.

Looking at your list I'm surprised at the weight of your boots. That's about what one of my boots weighs.

A lot of people don't count their binoculars as part of the "pack" weight since they typically are worn with a harness separately.

My tripod and spotting scope are the big items I carry that puts my weight over. It never fails though, if I leave them at camp I end up wanting them and if I carry them with me I never end up pulling them out.

I think 35lbs for a pack including the rifle is pretty decent including a days worth of food and water.

Looking at your list I'm surprised at the weight of your boots. That's about what one of my boots weighs.

A lot of people don't count their binoculars as part of the "pack" weight since they typically are worn with a harness separately.

that was one thing i was worried about when people analyzed it: "my pack while hunting only weights 29 lbs! you suck!" not realizing my "pack weight" includes a gun, and ammo, and binos, and harness etc etc

i feel relatively okay with it.

in my previous life of guiding backpacking trips and plenty of multi day peak bagging conquests i've discovered that i simply don't get blisters really... so i buy cheaper boots. i'm sure that will change over time, especially as i play around with different boots. they're just cableas brand boots with 400 grams of insulation. they were on sale. my only complaint is that they don't have great grip. but three years now and not a single foot problem. they're about 22 oz a boot

if elk hunting wasn't cold i'd just hunt in my trail runners that are so used my pinky toe sticks out. i hate boots

that was one thing i was worried about when people analyzed it: "my pack while hunting only weights 29 lbs! you suck!" not realizing my "pack weight" includes a gun, and ammo, and binos, and harness etc etc

in my previous life of guiding backpacking trips and plenty of multi day peak bagging conquests i've discovered that i simply don't get blisters really... so i buy cheaper boots. they're just cableas brand boots with 400 grams of insulation. they were on sale. my only complaint is that they don't have great grip. they're about 22 oz a boot

if elk hunting wasn't cold i'd just hunt in my trail runners that are so used my pinky toe sticks out. i hate boots
I’ll post mine if I can get all packed up before ten minutes after I needed to leave and it will make you feel a lot better about your setup. You do you man!

I’ll post mine if I can get all packed up before ten minutes after I needed to leave and it will make you feel a lot better about your setup. You do you man!

i will do me, but me doesn't have a lot of elk hunting experience!

with the access to elk hunting that i have, it's a sheer embarrassment than in my fourth year of being a hunter i'm only going on my second bull elk hunt

in my previous life of guiding backpacking trips and plenty of multi day peak bagging conquests i've discovered that i simply don't get blisters really... so i buy cheaper boots. i'm sure that will change over time, especially as i play around with different boots. they're just cableas brand boots with 400 grams of insulation. they were on sale. my only complaint is that they don't have great grip. but three years now and not a single foot problem. they're about 22 oz a boot

I’m with you on the boots, I did trail runners in AK with no regrets. They do suck for side hilling... which is why I’m not using them for elk hunting. I’m interested in the Altra Tashars, and the schnee missions as a lighter boot option. Traditional leather boots are just stupid heavy and horrible on the long trail hikes.

I've been trying to come up a layering system for hiking AND cold glassing. Cause u get so hot walking in and then cold. I came up with:

On me, hiking in:
Light merino tshirt and undies.
Light merino hoodie and long John's (or maybe those zip off first lite undies)
shell pants
Socks, boots duh
Boot gaiters (help keep debris out, protect pant legs from snagging, and keep warm)

Once glassing put on:
Beanie/neck gaiter
Shell jacket
Puffy hoody and pants
If needed, rain jacket and pants
Big ole mittens with hand warmers

First season Colorado especially is like 10-30 deg at night and 45-65 during day. Crazy temp swings. But that's the only clothes I'd use aside from orange reqs.

I’m with you on the boots, I did trail runners in AK with no regrets. They do suck for side hilling... which is why I’m not using them for elk hunting. I’m interested in the Altra Tashars, and the schnee missions as a lighter boot option. Traditional leather boots are just stupid heavy and horrible on the long trail hikes.

yeah, i've been leery of the leather boots so far. the more weight you load up on that pendulum swinging on the farthest point from all fulcrums on your legs will tire a person out way faster than they realize i figure

first time i try archery, which might be next year, i can't wait to utilize trail runners.

i would wear them more antelope hunting in wyoming, but damn, you don't realize how many cactuses you kick out there until you don't wear sturdy boots.

I have a pair of zip on puffy pants and really like them as well. The entire pant leg zips open so you just put them on right over whatever you are wearing. Nice and toasty.

I never wear long johns or any under layer on my legs as I get hot quick when hiking in.

I've been tire shopping for my truck and have said about 100 times I've made up my mind on a tire. 101 tomorrow.

Oh yeah? What have you come up with? I'm getting down close to the wear bars on my Coopers, makes me nervous for winter driving...

Way to many jackets in my book, check and no need for a second pair of pants in a day pack. I would definitely swap the puffy for the sweatshirt, I hike cold so when I start I’m comfortable not sweating my ass off. Then throw on a layer at the top of the mountain. I also don’t use a bone saw, they weigh a lot and don’t really use it. If your shoot something and want to skull cap instead of do a euro you could always get the saw on your first trip out.

Still seems a bit heavy but not sure there is much to take out. 11 lbs for the pack seems heavy.

Edit, I would take my tripod and trekking poles over most of my other gear. They are both at the top of my list.

I will have to weigh out my stuff this week before I head in.

Agree with this, dump the Cabelas jacket and take only the GoLite if the forecast is cold. Two hoodies AND a vest is pretty redundant, I'd drop the UA one. I have the Chama and wear it all fall, it's my favorite, the Chama+vest will get you into some chilly temps. No need for the saw, and instead of extra batteries I carry two headlamps that use the same type of batteries, extra batteries won't do you any good if you lose/break your light. No rain gear?

Last edited:
Oh yeah? What have you come up with? I'm getting down close to the wear bars on my Coopers, makes me nervous for winter driving...
As of today, I'm going to purchase Falken Wildpeak AT3W. They get really good reviews on a lot of different overlanding and off-road forums, plus a member on here has a hunting buddy who uses them. I think @SnowyMountaineer bought a set of these.

We'll see what tomorrow brings 🤔

Agree with this, dump the Cabelas jacket and take only the GoLite if the forecast is cold. Two hoodies AND a vest is pretty redundant, I'd drop the UA one. I have the Chama and wear it all fall, it's my favorite, the Chama+vest will get you into some chilly temps. No need for the saw, and instead of extra batteries I carry two headlamps that use the same type of batteries, extra batteries won't do you any good if you lose/break your light. No rain gear?

yeah cabelas jacket wasn't really in the running for any use, i've just never weighed it.

i've usually brought the chama and UA hoodie because the chama, while pretty warm, is really a mid layer, and UA is a bit heftier, make for good layering, especially for extra cold hiking, then throw a down on for extra cold glassing. though considering the likelihood of a warm forecast at this point in time, I am going to agree with your advice consider dumping it and see how the vest and chama do on my scouting morning. of course, all these clothes will be in the truck to prepare for any wild weather that may come. but i gotta pin down how to pack for the day

i've got rain gear, didn't weigh it, will bring it. but gosh, what's the point these days?

i already chucked 1.1 pounds of the random gear out of the pack, of that was actually an extra headlamp, it was one of my old one. I think i will heed your advice and ditch the batteries for an extra newer headlamp. though, i find it's prudent to take the batteries out of your extra headlamp to wholly eliminate the risk of it accidentally getting turned on during the day.

yeah cabelas jacket wasn't really in the running for any use, i've just never weighed it.

i've usually brought the chama and UA hoodie because the chama, while pretty warm, is really a mid layer, and UA is a bit heftier, make for good layering, especially for extra cold hiking, then throw a down on for extra cold glassing. though considering the likelihood of a warm forecast at this point in time, I am going to agree with your advice consider dumping it and see how the vest and chama do on my scouting morning. of course, all these clothes will be in the truck to prepare for any wild weather that may come. but i gotta pin down how to pack for the day

i've got rain gear, didn't weigh it, will bring it. but gosh, what's the point these days?

i already chucked 1.1 pounds of the random gear out of the pack, of that was actually an extra headlamp, it was one of my old one. I think i will heed your advice and ditch the batteries for an extra newer headlamp. though, i find it's prudent to take the batteries out of your extra headlamp to wholly eliminate the risk of it accidentally getting turned on during the day.

Yeah, seriously, what's the point of the rain gear around here??? :(

I keep a lot of stuff in the truck if I'm not going to be too far from it, it's always nice to have backups.

Stuff that's usually in my day pack for early seasons, off the top of my head here, probably a few things I'm missing:
Rain jacket/pants
Either Uncompaghre vest or Sitka soft-shell, depending on forecast
Beanie
First Lite wool gloves
Kill kit-game bags, havalon, nitrile gloves, kevlar glove, paracord, Caribou Hunter's Tarp
First aid kit
TP
Xtra headlamp
Goal zero phone charger, the small one for 2 charges
Rangefinder
Trekking poles
Tripod
Spotter or 15x binos (these things don't go if it's thick timber)
Snacks/lunch
Pocket Rocket stove and lightweight pot for coffee

Stuff on me:
Pants
Light long johns
Belt
Light merino shirt
Chama shirt
Hat
Sunglasses
Pocket knife
Binos+harness with xtra ammo in the front pocket

Hilarious how 7mm-08 fans slam 6.5 Creedmoor. Virtually identical ballistics. Yes, I own and hunt with Creed, 308, and 30-06. And I don't even wear my hair in a bun, even though at 59 I've still got a headfull. :-{)
Wheelie-Uncle-Mike_w.jpg.59472c70c813c34e557d3097da619b95.jpg

I lost 2 pounds by switching to a Savage Lightweight Hunter in 6.5 Creedmoor with a 1-3 Weaver Classic scope. It works well on deer out to 300 yards and elk to 200.

i didn't do an expansive weigh out this time. but just loaded up my pack and pack alone with all gear that goes in pack for 2-3 nights in and it is sitting at right around 39.3 lbs with water.

i feel somewhat proud of that.

obviously not accounting for binos, rifle, boots... just all stuff that goes in pack and pack. but all my other clothing that i will be wearing on the hike in is in there.

i'm taking a bear tag this time too. cow tag, bull tag, bear tag - better be coming home with something. definitely not going to the same place as last year.

who else is gearing up to head out for 1st rifle? and unfortunately has not already left yet..

Last edited:
Colorado first rifle is often fairly warm (40 -50 degrees) during the day. Some years it gets cold early, others it does not. On normal years I wear wool pants over good long johns, a heavy shirt over a good long sleeve undershirt, and an insulated vest. In my day pack I carry a shell parka, a "space blanket", water, lunch and snacks, extra cartridges, toilet paper in a ziplock bag (wet toilet paper is very disappointing indeed), meat bags, knife, and a length of rope. I stuff my pockets with various small necessities. On the years that it gets really cold I wear an insulated parka in addition the the above. I have taken a few DIY dozen elk, and at least a dozen of those were during Colorado first rifle season.

If you have to cover ground quickly to intercept elk heading for their beds or feeding area you will regret all of that extra weight and bulky gear that you intend to carry.

My only suggestions are to swap the UA for the puffy, less water, less food, and bring some lightweight rain gear (I never leave home without it).

Back