Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Colorado 1st Rifle Gear Weight

My only suggestions are to swap the UA for the puffy, less water, less food, and bring some lightweight rain gear (I never leave home without it).

My only suggestions are to swap the UA for the puffy, less water, less food, and bring some lightweight rain gear (I never leave home without it).

dude bringing rain gear in colorado is like bringing a canoe to the rodeo ;)

but the original post is last years day pack list. i've refined it a bit for this year but it's also a 2-3 nights in weight, and i am bringing a rain coat; largely it just works great as a windbreaker when it's not cold enough for the puffy.

UA hoody is staying in the bin in the truck. last year i fell in love with deer hunting in my melanzana zip up that had been stuffed at the back of the closet for many a year going unworn.

no long johns, just puffy pants for cold glassing. i'm definitely bringing too much food i think. but at 39 pounds weight for packing a camp in i'm okay with too much food i think.

dude bringing rain gear in colorado is like bringing a canoe to the rodeo ;)

but the original post is last years day pack list. i've refined it a bit for this year but it's also a 2-3 nights in weight, and i am bringing a rain coat; largely it just works great as a windbreaker when it's not cold enough for the puffy.

UA hoody is staying in the bin in the truck. last year i fell in love with deer hunting in my melanzana zip up that had been stuffed at the back of the closet for many a year going unworn.

no long johns, just puffy pants for cold glassing. i'm definitely bringing too much food i think. but at 39 pounds weight for packing a camp in i'm okay with too much food i think.
my raingear gets used 90% for cold wind, 10% for precip.

I did 5 days in Sept at 38.5 lbs (all gear, food and water), plus a rifle, plus my clothes I was wearing. But I run very cold and had long john, and two coats, plus the rain gear.

I think you're down as you can easily get. Good luck

...my melanzana zip up...
Those things go for like 2x+ price on eBay. Don't let it go. Melanzana culture is a fascinating microcosm. Simple fleece that used to be a symbol of backcountry efficiency and thrift, now a requirement for legit hippiness credentials at whole foods. Amazing.

Those things go for like 2x+ price on eBay. Don't let it go. Melanzana culture is a fascinating microcosm. Simple fleece that used to be a symbol of backcountry efficiency and thrift, now a requirement for legit hippiness credentials at whole foods. Amazing.

for real. i'm real glad i got turned on to that stuff in college and amassed a small collection. it felt a little annoyingly "boutique'y popular" even then but good grief what a cluster it's become trying to get a hold of that stuff.

I don't get expensive fleece. I was looking at getting a pataguchi R1 ($160) because I needed a new active fleece layer but settled for an Eddie Bauer, same grid-fleece, for, wait for it... a whopping $40.

I can't tell the difference.

now a requirement for legit hippiness credentials at whole foods. Amazing.

i should add, and must admit, there is a small part of me that fell in love with hunting with it as a way to push against that standard climber bro from Boulder or YoungLife chick from CSU that everyone imagines when one mentions melanzana.

get a little animal blood on that thing and post to the gram!

I imagine the puffy pants will not be worn when actually moving/hunting. Depending on weather and how long you'll be stationary, they likely stay at camp on a day hunt for me. Definitely don't need a second pair of pants (the 5.11) or 2 puffy jackets AND a puffy vest.

Its pretty common for me to spend most of the day in Oct/Nov with nothing but pants (kuiu attack or slightly heavier in late season) and a FL Chama hoody but i think i'm more active than lots of folks. A softshell and a puffy closes out the layering.

Never used a bone saw on a big game animal killed away from the truck and the hearts always get taken.

Other than that I don't see much for unnecessary stuff.

I imagine the puffy pants will not be worn when actually moving/hunting. Depending on weather and how long you'll be stationary, they likely stay at camp on a day hunt for me. Definitely don't need a second pair of pants (the 5.11) or 2 puffy jackets AND a puffy vest.

Its pretty common for me to spend most of the day in Oct/Nov with nothing but pants (kuiu attack or slightly heavier in late season) and a FL Chama hoody but i think i'm more active than lots of folks. A softshell and a puffy closes out the layering.

Never used a bone saw on a big game animal killed away from the truck and the hearts always get taken.

ah yes, i'm ditching the bone saw this year for the first time. it's a coming of age hunt if you will...

You know Hatchet Jack? That would be me without puffy pants.

39.5# + 4.5# for a 6'er of hopzone or old mil. You're good to go man.

4.5 pounds of single malt oughta do the trick yeah?

or topo chico hard seltzer?

i have a tender tummy for beer

i think the efficacy of imbibement on a per pound/oz basis dictates single malt

i didn't do an expansive weigh out this time. but just loaded up my pack and pack alone with all gear that goes in pack for 2-3 nights in and it is sitting at right around 39.3 lbs with water.

i feel somewhat proud of that.

obviously not accounting for binos, rifle, boots... just all stuff that goes in pack and pack. but all my other clothing that i will be wearing on the hike in is in there.

i'm taking a bear tag this time too. cow tag, bull tag, bear tag - better be coming home with something. definitely not going to the same place as last year.

who else is gearing up to head out for 1st rifle? and unfortunately has not already left yet..
Leaving tomorrow! Packing in about 4 miles for 5-6 days. Got my pack sitting at about 45lbs right now.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back