colorad unit 45

I have hunted Camp Hale once. I see now why the 10th Mountain Division used it for training. Great area to get into shape but not so great for wapiti. I hunted for a few days before I found the elk, all 6 of them and that was the only elk to be found in that whole area. I haven't hunted the rest of 45, so maybe there's a honey hole in there somewhere.

Hiker, camp hale is just below where im curious about, my bro's in-laws own the cabin just above camp hale along the 4wd road heading up McAllister gulch, what season did you hunt ??? appears to have alot of access so i can only imagine its crowded during the rifle hunts but im wondering about archery season ?

DKO, I think it was 3rd season. My brother hunted that area for 4-5 years and killed a buck or two. I only hunted there with him one year and decided not to go back. My nephew and I nicknamed it, Camp "Nothing". It wasn't too crowded where we were as it was a mud pit and getting 4x4 up the road was suicide, 20% grades and even with chains all the way around, people were getting into trouble. Once word got out, people quit trying and we had it to ourselves.
It might be better for archery. If I were to archery hunt it, I'd get way in there, as far away from all ATV trails that I could and maybe elk could be found, especially during the rut, when the bulls are looking for girls. If I remember correctly, the elk winter in that area.

Hiker, they do winter in the area that i have witnessed myself and im not surprised its a zoo, damn glad to hear about the roads being difficult, suits me just fine, my bro killed a 4x5 two years ago in there and his father-in-law usually does pretty well on cows and a few rags, and they hunt the 3rd season as well. Im sure they were the crowd you were seeing, theres a bunch of them there during that time, thats why i dont go with them, also we have a huge difference of opinion when it comes to tactics and methodology. i may give it an honest effort beings i live as far away from elk country as one could get, its a great opportunity for me to use the place and just get in the mountains and hunt elk. I havent killed enough elk to be picky so im not a trophy hunter just a meat hunter at this point. thanks for the insight

note to self : bring fly rod :)

DKO,
I hope you have a great hunt and bring home some tastey wapiti. Let us know how it goes for you and hopefully you can get into them.

Hiker
hunt kinda fell apart timing issue, may still try though, ill keep ya posted thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back