Colo. early high country Mule deer

cur dog

Has anybody here ever hunter the Mt Zirkel units (14,16,161) during the early high country season? I've hunted elk several times in unit 5 and 14. I've always wanted to hunt some of those high peak areas for deer. Just looking for some advise, maybe even a partner on this hunt.

I'm not looking to rob anyone of their honeyhole. I allready know the general area pretty well. All of the trailheads, roads, campsites have been scouted. I've spent tons of time on Google Earth, and even took a bunch of long range pictures of potential spots while elk hunting.

I guess what I'm looking for is some encouraging words from someone as crazy as myself. Did you find some bucks? Any good ones? Would you hunt this area again? Thanks for your time.

Not sure about the GMU's you've listed, but GMU 43 is the hot high country GMU now.(hint hint) If you want to know what it looks like, just watch Eastmans TV when David Long does his archery hunt here :rolleyes:

Yes there are bucks above timberline in the Zirkel's......some bowls have a few good bucks while other bowls with the same food source are vacant of deer. Obviously, the key is finding the bowls they're in.......you'll need to do some footwork, but they are there.

Not sure about the GMU's you've listed, but GMU 43 is the hot high country GMU now.(hint hint) If you want to know what it looks like, just watch Eastmans TV when David Long does his archery hunt here :rolleyes:

Yeah, since it is almost all wilderness area, it is a cool hunt. Wish I could have got a filming permit for that early season wilderness area when I had a Unit 43 tag. Maybe next time.

I hunted the early Zirkel hunt 23 years ago, if that helps. :D

That area was pounded by the 2007-2008 winter. They also have a unit-wide early hunt on the east side, between the high country hunt and the regular rifle seasons. That's so that they can shoot the deer before they migrate into WY. Then WY whacks on them a couple of weeks once they get there.

It's pretty much exactly like BOHNTR said. There are areas with no deer, and there are some bowls that will hold a few bucks.

Thanks for the input guys. Several years ago while rifle hunting elk in unit 5, I saw some real nice bucks. I assumed they probably came out of the high peaks in Zirkel. This is a hunt I've always wanted to do. My interest probably came from reading David Long and Mike eastmans books. Right now I'm going into this season with 5 points, the draw shouldn't be an issue. What does have me a little concerned is the danger of fire. The Mtn pine beetle has really done a number on this area. It would be just my luck to burn my points and get locked out due to fire. Last year it was incredible how much dead timber there was.

It seems like I heard that the deer herd that makes up the Maroon Bells Snowmass Wilderness unit (43) got slammed with snow a couple of years ago. Is it as good as it was? I'm just being lazy, but any idea what it takes to draw that early rifle tag?

Are you a resident or non-resident? I believe that tag only requires 1-2 points to draw, seems like a waste of points. Check out the statistics page on the Colorado DOW web site.

Yeah, pretty much the same comments as BOHNTR and Oak. Talk to the biologist in Steamboat Springs - awhile back he was telling me about their surveys and fly-overs and the animals just weren't there in the numbers they expected primarily because they got hammered bad in the last several snowy winters. Something else he said is timing is key - the early hunt is timed because the deer migrate out of CO into WY. So you can get into them big time or not see much of anything depending on the movement.

I MZ hunted elk in 14 this year. Deer seemed few and far between. In the past we usually see quite a few does and fork horns down low.

I know its probably a waste of points, but I'd rather hunt sooner than later. I'm getting older and fatter every year. I'll be 37 in June.:)

Took these in 161 near wy border while scouting for elk. The buck was huge and would have scored very well. You may have to enlarge photos - not the greatest camera man.

Attachments

• 161 2 Mule Deer.jpg
    161 2 Mule Deer.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 6,146
  • 161 Mule Deer.jpg
    161 Mule Deer.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 6,545
Yeah, since it is almost all wilderness area, it is a cool hunt. Wish I could have got a filming permit for that early season wilderness area when I had a Unit 43 tag. Maybe next time.

Film permit? Really...Never knew that...:confused:

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back