Collared elk

cur dog

My son and I were doing some exploring and glassing last evening. We found a group of 18 cows. In that one group, 3 were collared.

How common is it for this many collared elk to be in the same herd.

These cows were in the Greys river region. I’m guessing Wyoming is interested in mortality and migration information.

Any thoughts or information would be interesting.

My son and I were doing some exploring and glassing last evening. We found a group of 18 cows. In that one group, 3 were collared.

How common is it for this many collared elk to be in the same herd.

These cows were in the Greys river region. I’m guessing Wyoming is interested in mortality and migration information.

Any thoughts or information would be interesting.
Contact the authorities with your observation and questions. It may be information they are looking for.

Many years ago I tracked a moose into a chokecherry grove where I could here it browsing. I stood behind a small spruce tree and waited. Eventually the cow walked right by me not fifteen feet away. She had a tag in one ear. It was long, weathered, and with large blue letters/numbers I could probably have read if she'd stood still. I called the Ministry the next day but they hadn't tagged moose for thirty years. I was convincing enough that the gal did some investigating. By a process of elimination she determined that yearling cow must have been tagged near International Falls, Minnesota undoubtedly the previous year. International Falls is a good six hour drive from my home and where I hunted was an hour further north. Amazing to think a young moose with its mother could travel that far in such a short period.

Last edited:
i'd say if you come upon a collared elk chances are high there are plenty more in the area that are collared. since they often seem to study distinct herds there will end up being at least a handful that stay grouped close together from the collaring.

my guess at least.

We are guessing that they were all collared on their winter range, and stuck together. Total speculation on our part. I’ll add that there were 2 types of collars. Blue and tan colored. I’m sure we have someone here that can tell us more.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back