PEAX Equipment

Collapsible fishing rod

TheBenHoyle

I am hoping some of you experienced fishermen can give me direction. I am looking for a good fishing rod that is truly collapsible. Maybe something designed for backpacking. I looked at Bass Pro last summer and I couldn't find anything that was really collapsible, which surprised me. They had like 7 acres of fishing rods... Anyway, I thank you all in advance for any guidance.

I'm assuming for backcountry trout? If that's the case, you could buy a 5' UL 2 piece rod. Carry it out, then assemble it at the water.

I have way too many fishing rods but I can't say I have a collapsing rod. For what you're looking to do, a two-piece rod should work just fine.

I was in the same boat a couple weeks ago looking for something to fit in luggage for our trip to Montana. Looked at Cabelas and not much, ended up finding one at Fleet Farm that collapsed way down for a good price. Will try post brand when I get home later.

Eagle Claw Trailmaster. Used it this weekend with the nephews on the Wise River, Pattengail creek, and the Big Hole. It was handed down to me from my grandpa.
A classic back country rod.

Check eBay. There's a few listed currently.

Not a big fan of telescopic fishing rods as they tend to be fiberglass and very flexible with not much sensitivity. On hiking trips I carry a 7 piece 4 weight fly rod. (Which Cabela's makes a few in their brand) it Breaks down to about 16". Super small and light. I do know that eagle claw makes a fly/spin rod that is made for backpacking although not the nicest rod it'll hook some lips.

Eagle Claw Trailmaster. Used it this weekend with the nephews on the Wise River, Pattengail creek, and the Big Hole. It was handed down to me from my grandpa.
A classic back country rod.

Check eBay. There's a few listed currently.
I have one that's a combo spin/fly rod, used it this last weekend. Doesn't cast nearly as good as my newer graphite rods, but it just "feels right" in the mountains.

This has been my go to for back country compact fishing rods.

https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-System-Minispin-Ultralight-Spinning/dp/B0000BY56T
Daiwa Minispin System Travel Spin Fishing Rod Reel KitSKU #: 102069
$42.99

4161MphoCfL._SX425_.jpg

• Designed for anglers on the move, compact tackle setup comes in its own hard case, and is ideal for stowing in luggage, backpacking, or keeping under a car seat
  • Ultralight MS-S500T reel with smooth, ball bearing drive, multi-disc drag, 5.1-to-1 retrieve, GyroSpin balancing, and Twist Buster line twist reduction
  • Matching 4.5-foot, five-piece ultralight rod for two-to-six-pound test lines and 0.0625-to-0.25-ounce lures
  • Ultra-compact hard case includes built-in tackle compartments
  • Includes limited manufacturer's warranty; details included with purchase

Qty:

This has been my go to for back country compact fishing rods.

https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-System-Minispin-Ultralight-Spinning/dp/B0000BY56T
Daiwa Minispin System Travel Spin Fishing Rod Reel KitSKU #: 102069
$42.99

4161MphoCfL._SX425_.jpg

• Designed for anglers on the move, compact tackle setup comes in its own hard case, and is ideal for stowing in luggage, backpacking, or keeping under a car seat
  • Ultralight MS-S500T reel with smooth, ball bearing drive, multi-disc drag, 5.1-to-1 retrieve, GyroSpin balancing, and Twist Buster line twist reduction
  • Matching 4.5-foot, five-piece ultralight rod for two-to-six-pound test lines and 0.0625-to-0.25-ounce lures
  • Ultra-compact hard case includes built-in tackle compartments
  • Includes limited manufacturer's warranty; details included with purchase

Qty:
This is what we have. I've got two that are push button and three that are spinning reels. It serves the purpose. One landed a 21" Snake River cut, and another landed a 19" trout lake cutbow. The case has enough room for a small baggie of hooks and sinkers and enough space for a fee spinners or other lures.

I’ve got a collapsible fishing rod, it works quite well. It’s a 6 foot rod with a hollowed out handle, I keep it collapsed inside my truck for those days when I want to stop along the river but didnt plan to. I keep a few jigs and twister tails in the handle. It’s slightly over a foot collapsed but opens up to 6 feet. Can’t remember the brand off the top of my head but on the river it handles Walleyes,smallmouth and I even landed a 20 lb 32 in carp on it. I’ll see if i can find the brand.

I'm not a fly fishing dude but I've been playing with a tenkara as well. I second that suggestion to try one. They collapse really short and are simple. That means less crap to bring on your trip!

I was going to say Tenkara, but a few people beat me to it. They are great for backpacking and simple to use. I actually use mine for fishing lakes and larger rivers as well. Big fish are a hoot to fight on them!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back