Cold weather gloves/mittens

Talk2elk

With the cold weather coming this weekend here in MT, I could use an upgrade to my gloves. For extreme cold rifle season what do you recommend? I would usually just by whatever at Bob Wards or Walmart but looking for something better. Any suggestions?

Mittens for sure.

Sitka makes a good mitten.

My personal preference are the swany toasters (leather). They have a zipper so you can unzip your shooting hand, and therefore take the shot without having to remove the mitten.

I wear thin fleece gloves (kuiu) under heavy duty mittens. I attach the mittens to my jacket so they don't get full of snow. Hunted coyote last year in -30. I have black diamond murcury's, which have a split finger inside for increased dexterity.

Good old fashioned leather and wool chopper mitts. I got the First Lite grizzly mittens a few years ago too, and they’re pretty great.

I like a light liner glove with a chopper mitten. Something like the Sitka Ascent works great for this purpose. The best I've had were the Ascents with a Simms windstopper fleece Glomitt. Kept hands warm down to 0 degrees. I get hot when hiking/walking, and having the liner glove on helps keep wind from biting while walking, while not getting too overheated.

Thanks for the advice guys, I went with Give'r Frontier Mittens they are made in Wyoming and should hold up well.
I have their classic and lightweight gloves. They are fantastic and very well made.

I got a pair of the (pricey) Frost River canvas choppers with removable liners. Maybe not the lightest, but they are very well made, comfy, warm, pliable, and great fit. I wear very thin gloves inside the liner to avoid frostbite when I take them off to shoot in extreme cold.

When on stand/glassing I wear down mittens. When I am hiking I have gloves or glove liners on. I like the down because they weigh nothing and can smash down into a small area in my pack or pocket. I have Raynouds so my feet and hands get cold easy, so this is what works for me.

I picked up those giant stand-hunter mittens from Cabelas. Probably nowhere near the caliber of the others on this thread but they work pretty well in bitter cold wind. Throw away the liners that accompany them though.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back