Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Cold weather camping

maginnis

With temps dropping close to zero here, my 3 season marmot tent isn't sounding too cozy. I stayed plenty warm this last weekend a few miles in, with lows in the mid 20s. But single digits or colder with snow seem crazy even with a zero degree bag and a pad. Any one spike out from the truck and sleep on the ground when its this cold? Whats the cut off?

I've done it several times. After I froze my butt off I bought a -20* down bag. Mountain Hardwear King Tut. Toasty warm even in bitter cold temps.

Attachments

• NZ 2011 037-20%.jpg
    NZ 2011 037-20%.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 391
  • NZ 2011 040-20%.jpg
    NZ 2011 040-20%.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 394
I've done it a bit, last years mnt goat was the worst. Things that help make it a bit more bearable; a solid bag but I also bivied up, good sleeping pad, and the ability to ingest hot substances. I use a jet boil, I went through a lot of hot fluids to keep body temps up. You can buy individual packets for coffee, tea, hot chocolate, cider to keep temps and spirits high. If your so inclined, you can also use some of the adhesive Hot Hands products. Stick one, or twenty depending the night, to your lower back and it will help keep those kidneys warm.

Winter camping

There are lots of great tips for making cold tent winter camping more comfortable.

Gear - A proper bag for the temps or a combo of two bags can work, but will be heavier. A proper sleeping pad. Most sleeping pads are not winter rated. Check out R-ratings of pads and you'll quickly see may are made for comfort and not for insulation from the ground. The best thing to add is a closed-cell foam pad to your regular pad and you will be much better off. It will be cheaper than purchasing a high quality winter pad.

Clothing - The rules here are very similar to hunting or any other outdoor sport, but many people overdress when they head to bed. If you dress too warm for bed you will likely sweat and wake up shivering. A properly rated bag will let you sleep in a base layer of long underwear of your choosing. I always add a light stocking cap and a pair of socks that match your comfort level.

FOod - lots of warn foods and high calorie foods. Protein and complex carbs are best, but fruits and veggies are not practical so quality whole grains that use water in their prep will help you stay hydrated. I like to bring rice dishes and stovetop stuffing. Hot drinks are great because if you reply on cold water all the time you will cool your core and will likely get dehydrated because you will drink less.

Related to hydration, pee as often as you can. I always try to go to the bathroom beofre bed. If you wake in the middle of the night and have to go, DO IT! If you don't want to go outside the tent, have a urine bottle to fill up and set aside.
Your body has to warn everything inside of it and it wastes lots of calories and heat keeping your urine in your bladder warm. Getting it out will help you stay warmer and sleep longer.

I've done many cold (0 degree) camping trips and these methods will make it bearable. You can add other items to help you out such as down booties. You can find a way to store your boots to keep them form freezing solid. Placing a spare pair of base layers in a dry bag inside your sleeping bag will give you warm clothes to change into in the morning.

A candle lantern in the tent will provide soft light and a small amount of safe heat, just enough to keep air moving o-ut of the tent and limit the amount of frost that forms. Most candle lantern candles are 8-10 hours of burn time, which is perfect for a long winter night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
T_allen7
Back