CO Unit 82, Looking for any info!

CzechHunter

Hey all, This will be my first year elk hunting and I am looking at unit 82 Colorado. Looking for any info on where might be a good place to start for 3rd rifle season. I know it is steep and rough country. Not asking for anyone honey hole just a general area to start looking. Thanks!

I've ridden my horse into the Cherry Lake drainage, which is a bit North of Crestone there. Nice country and the Elk were grazing on both sides of the draw I was down in. You're in the land of 14 teeners here, so most would find it challenging to climb, and find the air molecules, when they're so far apart. During 3rd rifle, you could also be in snow. The air warms up as it passes over the vast San Luis Valley, and when it rises over those peaks, it dumps out it's moisture.
The areas South of Crestone and North of the Great San Dunes National Park have tons of Elk. Problem is there, when they hear a gunshot, they run for the Baca lands, which are a private preserve and then die of old age!
I live across the valley from the Sangre de Cristo's and the snow is all gone from the peaks now. You'll need to be in shape, and able to handle the altitudes there, iMO.

Hey CzechHunter,

Wondering if you had any insight from your Rifle hunt? I am planning to hunt 82/86 this fall during the OTC Elk Archery hunt. This will be the first time hunting this area (Hunted Elk in ID until this year, they screwed the NR hunters).

Any insights you can share on the area? My buddies and I are used to rough steep mountains, so not worried there. Did you spend any time in the burns? Did you see decent elk numbers? I am sure there were a lot of hunters as the sangre de cristos appear to be the main elk turf.

Thanks!

The western side of 82 is private and low elevation, most likely will not be elk there during archery. The eastern side of 82 is fairly steep except for the lowest terrain. The elk will be up high in this area. Access to the east is limited due to the private property in the valley. Check out the northern sections of 82 in the NF beautiful country and not as steep.

The western side of 82 is private and low elevation, most likely will not be elk there during archery. The eastern side of 82 is fairly steep except for the lowest terrain. The elk will be up high in this area. Access to the east is limited due to the private property in the valley. Check out the northern sections of 82 in the NF beautiful country and not as steep.
Thanks westelker for the info! I agree the boundary of 82 and 86 looks like the elk country in those units. I was looking at the areas in and around the 2019 burn. And also the areas along the Rainbow trail. I still have to a little research to do to see what all can access that trail, looks like Horses, dirtbikes and hiking for sure. I want to see if it allows vehicles under 50". We generally get up high and set a spike tent and then day hunt from that location, occasionally moving the spike tent location as we go. The Rainbow trail would provide some avenues to get around even if its just hiking.

Looks like there is a road that goes right up to the top of Methodist Mt. Anyone ever been up there? Looks like an easy access, which might mean hoards of hunters?

Is that country in general have good enough numbers that you might see a decent bull? We are just meat hunters so branch antlered gets us excited. a nice 5pt. would just be a cherry on top.

Yes, Trail 757 and 758 go up near Methodist. Check the national forest vehicle usage map for < 50 ". Most likely those trails are open for horses and walking only. What ever you decide to do...just get off the trail 1/2 and you'll do fine.

Yeah my buddies and I have an aversion to trails, especially motorized. I will look into the under 50" trails. We have 3 wheelers that fall in that category which can provide us a way in and then hike further.

Thanks for the info!

Hey everyone, considering this unit as well. Anyone know the easiest way to find out what roads are drivable up to the wilderness areas? I see some county roads that lead up to the mountains and most of them go through private land, just unsure if those are open to public since they are CR or if there will be gates at the private. North Crestone Creek for example, there is a road that leads up there to what looks like parking area where some trails start. Just trying to figure out where we can park the truck and start walking from. Any help is appreciated.

Hey EJDXT20,

I have also wondered if you can drive through the private to get to the NF and trailheads. I am assuming yes because of all the activity around them. Looks like there is a campground at that trailhead so i would venture to guess you can access it unencumbered.

COTREX is great for seeing what trails you can do what on. Not sure if you have come across that yet?

I had that area marked on the map to try and scout while I am out there this summer. There has to be elk in there. Prolly depends more on the size of the hoard of people.

Hey EJDXT20,

I have also wondered if you can drive through the private to get to the NF and trailheads. I am assuming yes because of all the activity around them. Looks like there is a campground at that trailhead so i would venture to guess you can access it unencumbered.

COTREX is great for seeing what trails you can do what on. Not sure if you have come across that yet?

I had that area marked on the map to try and scout while I am out there this summer. There has to be elk in there. Prolly depends more on the size of the hoard of people.
Thank you that's useful, I had not discovered that yet. So if I'm reading that right, the Hayden creek road #6 seems to allow highway vehicles and ATVs but you would have to be hunting 86 to access that road via a truck or ATV? Access from 82 would be via hayden pass road 970 which will be closes to motorized vehicles during hunting season. But can you get to that via the CR? Looks like it goes through private. I'll keep looking at it see if I can figure it out.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back