CO Unit 22 Deer

Baerman

I drew the 3rd season this year and with the date shift, my hunt is later, Nov 13-19. Should be prime time as far as rut...I think. From what I gather, the hunt is not quite what it used to be but there will be opportunity to look over a lot of bucks and I assume that if I look over enough bucks, eventually I'll see a good one. I was hoping those familiar with the country and hunt could help me answer a few general questions if you had time as I'm excited to start pulling things together for this hunt.

1) I'm curious, what is a typical buck in the unit and what do you think the potential is as far as score?
2) What is the likely hood of snow by middle of November and are quads enough to get around or would a snowmobile be handy?
3) Looks like there is a lot of private down in the drainages and near the main roads. Is the unit still pretty accessible? I see a lot of people say that access is very plentiful but in looking at maps, it looks like there are lots of places that could restrict access to many drainages. It also looks like I could hike to get away from crowds and roads however it sounds like people drive quads all over the place.
4) Is there good camping and is a wall tent going to be a good option or is it better to stay in town?
5) Is there cell coverage in many locations or should I bring my In Reach to stay connected back home?
6) Is it worth getting an otc elk tag?
7) From what I gather, this is wintering grounds and deer migrate down into the lower country. Will I be seeing new deer every day in a specific area or will I likely see the same deer day after day in general locations? I hunted a migration hunt in NM years back and we would see new deer every day and also saw better deer every day as the hunt progressed.
8) Does the hunt get better in one weeks time in mid November considering migration and rut?

Thanks to those willing to offer any knowledge or advise. I'm looking forward to hunting CO after 11 years of collecting points.

There’s a chance for a big one, just like in any unit, but a 160-170 is a realistic goal in that unit now. You could have a decent amount of snow during the hunt and there is plenty of public land to hunt. I never fell like access was an issue. Where we hunted and camped, it was a lot nicer to wake up and hunt, rather than stay in town and drive each morning and evening. Lots of roads and not much area to get away from them.

Hunted it in 2017. Rut was full swing during 3rd season that year and it was quite a bit earlier. Saw many bucks, maybe one or two over 160. Killed a 174 buck and he was the largest I saw by a good margin. You can get around good, but watch the land ownership. Plenty of camping, a wall tent would work well, but be prepared to cover a lot of territory. I can't imagine a snowmachine would be useful, honestly, a truck or SxS will get you everywhere. When I hunted it, I got the impression from locals and CPW employees that the deer were mostly all there. For an odd reason, everything was early that year. They migrated early and the rut was earlier than they were used to. Fun hunt, I would do it again, but not for the points it takes to draw today. Unfortunately, I probably won't be going back. shott me a PM, and I can give you some more detailed pointers.

Hunted it in 2017. Rut was full swing during 3rd season that year and it was quite a bit earlier. Saw many bucks, maybe one or two over 160. Killed a 174 buck and he was the largest I saw by a good margin. You can get around good, but watch the land ownership. Plenty of camping, a wall tent would work well, but be prepared to cover a lot of territory. I can't imagine a snowmachine would be useful, honestly, a truck or SxS will get you everywhere. When I hunted it, I got the impression from locals and CPW employees that the deer were mostly all there. For an odd reason, everything was early that year. They migrated early and the rut was earlier than they were used to. Fun hunt, I would do it again, but not for the points it takes to draw today. Unfortunately, I probably won't be going back. shott me a PM, and I can give you some more detailed pointers.
I also hunted it in 17’. Heck, we might have crossed paths at some point! We also saw some bucks pushing does around and watched one good one, run a doe around an private field.

Camp, a wall tent would be great. Don’t stay in town. It is an hour to where you want to be. You will be surprised where you will see large 5th wheels out in the unit. The roads can get slick with moisture and ice. Ten feet too far onto a bad patch and it sucks. There are places you can find to get cell service within the unit. I made calls every day.
If you are still seeking information shoot me a PM.

Hello my wife and I are out archery hunting currently in unit 13. We saw a couple of cows yesterday but that's it. Not much in the way of sign. Land is tough to access in a lot of areas. Was thinking about unit 22. Any suggestions as to whether this is a good unit for archery or do you have another suggestion. Thanks much!

Hello my wife and I are out archery hunting currently in unit 13. We saw a couple of cows yesterday but that's it. Not much in the way of sign. Land is tough to access in a lot of areas. Was thinking about unit 22. Any suggestions as to whether this is a good unit for archery or do you have another suggestion. Thanks much!

Welcome to HT. If you are talking deer sure there are resident animals but the bulk move into the area late season. This is a migratory hunt being discussed.

I drew unit 11/211 3rd season mule deer myself. Good luck on your hunt. I can't wait to get out there and find some hopefully chasing a hot doe or two around by then.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back