Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

CO Unit 15, first rifle.

Farmer

I'd sure appreciate any information about Colorado Unit 15 and in particular the Sarvis Creek Wilderness. I have hunted CO in many areas since the 1980's by every means you can name. (Most recently by solo backpack into the high country which I'd like to do again this year). I'll be motoring out alone once again from New Hampshire with a three day scout of another wilderness area for my planned solo archery hunt next year, God willing... I'm 74 this year. My question pretty much is just a general area to start from and what to expect to experience. I figure on about a week scouting with some back country time to nail something down. Thanks.

P.S. Anyone with info on where to go for supplies before my heading into the high country? Steamboat Springs in all their visitors info glaringly does not mention "hunting" (Anywhere!!!) and I can locate no hunting supply store in the whole town. I can take a hint and don't plan on stopping there.

Farmer,
I'm heading up the GMU 15 this weekend to scout for first season rifle (my first time hunting there). I'm going to take a look around the Sarvis Creek Wilderness area and north of the Lynx Pass Campground. We are in a 4x4 so probably only hiking in a couple miles. We will be driving through Kremmling and I'll keep an eye out for a supply store. I know that Silverthorne has a couple of supply stores, but not sure what all you'll be needing.

All depends on what your looking for. You should be able to buy anything you need in steamboat although it’s a little more expensive than other places and may have to go to more than one store to get it. You will drive through Denver so you can get anything there if you need it.

I've hunted up north of Lynx pass for the past 3 years and its like a zoo up there. Good luck finding a spot away from the crowds. There have also been cattle throughout that area every year I have been there. It's a tough spot to hunt.

Depending on what route your driving in if you come thru Laramie you can get supplies there and I believe my family used to pick up licenses and some hunting supplies in Walden. Good luck

Pretty limited on hunting gear in Steamboat, but Straightline sports has quality stuff as far as clothing and accessories. Plenty of places for groceries, and walmart has a decent supply of outdoors gear if you get in a pinch. Probably best to stock up on items before heading into the mountains.

Steamboat is not unfriendly to hunters but is definitely more fish/ski/golf oriented. If you are coming up from I70 you will have Silverthorne and Kremmling to pick from once you leave the interstate ......from I80 your last 2 will be Cheyenne and Laramie (Walden has a couple of small stores but it is a small town-I go through all 3 of these towns on my way to GMU 26 every year). As has been mentioned, what type of supplies are you specifically looking to get?

......I almost forgot, if you are going down 131 by Yampa they have a great little general store in town.

I’m headed in that area for the last 10 days of the archery season. Never been there before but am going in with the intent to figure it out. I’ll be hunting with camp on my back. Sounds like a tough area to hunt.

Hunted in there this September at the end of the 263 rd. Saw moose and deer but not one elk. Lots of deadfall in the SCW. Guy I was partnered with saw a nice bull and cow but couldn’t draw him in. Pray for snow.

I hunted there for the last 10 days of the archery season. I put on a ton of miles on the wilderness area. Hunted with camp on my back. It’s been a dry year out in Colorado but the bad part of that unit is it is dry and loud with lots of deadfall. Intermixed in all of that dead fall are springs and moisture pockets. So finding water is not the key there is water spread out all over. And all of those sources are almost impossible to approach silently unless you have some wind. In the 10 days I heard two bugles from the same bull. I saw that bull he was a nice 6 point. Without a doubt in my mind there are some Toads in that unit. But there is a reason they get that big it is extremely difficult to hunt. Snow would def be the key to stalking and glassing some of the hell holes that are in that unit. If you get lucky enough the potential is there for a true public land trophy.

I hunted there for the last 10 days of the archery season. I put on a ton of miles on the wilderness area. Hunted with camp on my back. It’s been a dry year out in Colorado but the bad part of that unit is it is dry and loud with lots of deadfall. Intermixed in all of that dead fall are springs and moisture pockets. So finding water is not the key there is water spread out all over. And all of those sources are almost impossible to approach silently unless you have some wind. In the 10 days I heard two bugles from the same bull. I saw that bull he was a nice 6 point. Without a doubt in my mind there are some Toads in that unit. But there is a reason they get that big it is extremely difficult to hunt. Snow would def be the key to stalking and glassing some of the hell holes that are in that unit. If you get lucky enough the potential is there for a true public land trophy.
That gets me fired up for my fourth season rifle hunt in 15!

Bow hunted that unit 3 yrs ago. Tons of deadfall and beetle kill. Silent elk and loads of other hunters. Saw deer and moose and a couple of elk. There were camps and hunters everywhere and we didn’t just run into them at the roads. 3+ miles back in and we still ran into hunters regularly.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMArcheryCoues24
Back