Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

CO sheep and goat (2022) tag holders please stand up!

I need some help on learning to take pictures!
Are these pictures taken from your phone or do you have a camera?
Are they selfies?

Any help would be appreciated - I am one of those guys whose fish and game usually look a lot smaller than they really are and most of the pictures I take are not good art or wall work.

Are they selfies?

Any help would be appreciated - I am one of those guys whose fish and game usually look a lot smaller than they really are and most of the pictures I take are not good art or wall work.
This little jobber works wonders for taking pictures. It still takes time and practice but can't beat it if your by yourself

Eicaus Phone Tripod, Flexible Tripod for iPhone and Android with Remote and Phone Holder, Waterproof Mini Tripod for Live Streaming and Vlog, Cell Phone Tripod Stand with GoPro Adapters https://a.co/d/hqbZyoM

Are they selfies?

I often have a small point and shoot camera in my pack, but mostly find myself using my iPhone for photos. I'm almost always by myself when I kill something, so I'm relegated to "selfies." I always have a tripod for my spotting scope in my pack that I can use for my camera, and I have this $7 cell phone mount I use on it. But if you don't already carry a tripod, you can carry a small one like Mudranger posted or a $35 GorillaPod like this that comes with a cell phone mount. Finally, a shutter release for whatever camera you use is very helpful, to keep you from running back and forth between the camera and the critter. I use one from PhoneSkope but there are many options. If you have Apple Airpods with volume control, you can use those as a shutter release for your phone camera.

Here are some "selfies" I've taken.

2016Buck1small.jpg

2013Buck1.jpg

Side crop.jpg

Goat2.jpg

I often have a small point and shoot camera in my pack, but mostly find myself using my iPhone for photos. I'm almost always by myself when I kill something, so I'm relegated to "selfies." I always have a tripod for my spotting scope in my pack that I can use for my camera, and I have this $7 cell phone mount I use on it. But if you don't already carry a tripod, you can carry a small one like Mudranger posted or a $35 GorillaPod like this that comes with a cell phone mount. Finally, a shutter release for whatever camera you use is very helpful, to keep you from running back and forth between the camera and the critter. I use one from PhoneSkope but there are many options. If you have Apple Airpods with volume control, you can use those as a shutter release for your phone camera.

Here are some "selfies" I've taken.

View attachment 279169

View attachment 279170

View attachment 279171

View attachment 279172

i'm a bona fide millennial and you are roughly 5x more tech savvy than me. didn't know that air pod trick.

i just run a video with my phone perched on my pack somehow then take stills from it. realized i was even doing that wrong when i didn't have it set on 4k.

yours are better

i'm a bona fide millennial and you are roughly 5x more tech savvy than me. didn't know that air pod trick.

i just run a video with my phone perched on my pack somehow then take stills from it. realized i was even doing that wrong when i didn't have it set on 4k.

yours are better
I didn't know that AirPod trick either and I'm always the guy in the group assigned to take pics. Once again, @Oak has earned his expert status

Boy, with the 14 pro shooting raw & ProRes 4K it will be difficult to bring along the Lumix DMC-GF6 w/20mm fixed 1:1.7/20 lens. Plus the 14 pro shoots with spotter & binos using MagView, the camera doesn't. 14 pro it is :love:

If you don't have a shutter release you can always set your phone camera up preferably on a tripod, flip the camera to the front selfie mode with the screen facing you, switch it to video slowly walk to your animal... grip and grin and pose while you can see the screen. Then simply slow the video down and pause on the best frame and screen shot and crop.... best picture every time...

Obviously composition and lighting are of the upmost importance... Watch your shadows, get good light...especially on your face and the animal.

Last edited:
Back