CO Question

Calvin

I'm going to give CO elk a shot next fall. Can anybody point me in the right direction for finding a map with trailheads on public land, and where the trails go?

Also, would it make any sense to rent a $19.95 a day u-haul cargo van, and use that as my base camp? Or do the roads get crazy during elk season with ice/snow and a 4x4 rig is needed?

Thanks!

I'm going to give CO elk a shot next fall. Can anybody point me in the right direction for finding a map with trailheads on public land, and where the trails go?

Also, would it make any sense to rent a $19.95 a day u-haul cargo van, and use that as my base camp? Or do the roads get crazy during elk season with ice/snow and a 4x4 rig is needed?

Thanks!

I would definitely go with 4x4, with chains, to be safe. You never know what the weather will be (couldbe 70...could be minus 10) or what road condition will be.

I have the Hunting GPS maps for my Garmin and also have paper maps, the two together are better than one alone.

Depending on where you want to go, you could get away with a car. Other area's I wouldn't be caught without everything from chains,yank'um strap, come along, etc just like ishootdasmallones mentioned.

Take your 4x4 with your chains and a high lift jack. never know where the roads will lead you to you hunting grounds.Find you maps and pick a unit . then call the biologist and the local game warden and ask them what the heard looks like.

Depends on where and when you are going. Are you bow hunting early season or rifle hunting later? If you are bow hunting you probably won't have to deal with snow but you most definitely will deal with mud. In October or later there is always a chance if snow and possibly lots of it, depending again on where you go. The further "up" you go, either in elevation or latitude the greater the chance of snow.

If you are going to travel on BLM or Forest Service roads you should bring chains for all four and should have four wheel drive. If you're just going to drive to a trailhead and hike in you can get there with just a car or minivan.

You should have the maps mentioned or the GPSMaps program for your GPS. You should also get the BLM maps for the area you are hunting because they are the best at delineating private and public lands.

Get on the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website and study the Regional Hunting Guides for the northwest and southwest, and then pick an area to target. Then get serious with the statistics, call the local biologists, study aerial photos, etc.

Do not underestimate the conditioning you need. If you think you're in shape, you're not, unless you can run football stadium steps for about half hour without stopping. Running will get your heart and lungs in shape, but you need to really strengthen your legs for climbing. Do box jumps, lunges, step ups, squats, wall sits, etc.

Then come out and have fun and enjoy the mountains.

@Calvin
I'm going to be elk hunting here too. Let me know if you end up needing a hunting buddy.

You can download a topo map of the entire state similar in definition to the 1:25,000 quads from gpsfiledepot.com - this can be further downloaded to your gps, or you can use it on your computer to scout. In the field I go with the paper quads plus a gps with maps.

Back