co late elk hunt 3, 301

archerfish

Taking my 12 year old for his first big game hunt around craig in a couple weeks, anyone have thoughts on spots, areas to avoid. I have never hunted the unit. does the north end of 3 hold any animals in all that blm land, maybe the stl's. thanks for your input

Hope for snow, was up there first part of December and the elk were still up high and not moving much. Saw a lot of them just not in the areas we could hunt. And be sure to pack chains, the roads up there can get slick and nasty quick.

Was in Craig over the weekend, and we saw 1 bull. Not enough snow yet. Did see a lot of elk on Rabbit Ears pass right off the hwy

As long as the snow pushes them down, the BLM and STLs can hold elk. There were some down there while we were hunting in the area last week, but most were still up higher, to the west. With only 6-12 inches of snow, the elk didn't need to move yet.

Saw 27 head at 9000K this weekend. Pray for snow, and alot of it. Definitely a weird year. Those elk can be anywhere from Black Mountain, west to Maybell. You'll just have to get out there and figure out where the big herds are. Good Luck!

thanks for the responses, I just spoke with the ranch at Fortification stl, sounds like the elk have moved down, what an interesting fall.

Success!!! My son tagged out today. Took two shots, but elk down. So proud of him on this 'coming of age' hunt with him. I've been elk hunting for 5 years and the first elk I quartered was his. A fact he will not let me forget for quite some time, Im sure. Thanks to Hunt Talk for all the tips and information. Appreciated.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back