CO first elk hunt!

Guitarman1562

Hello everyone I am very excited to join this forum. Quick background I grew up on a cotton farm and in the last 5 years have really fallen in love with hunting and conservation. I have hunted Muleys but not elk. I find hunting to be one of the best ways to spend time with friends and family. I am also a struggling fly fisherman so any areas that can somehow combine the two really get me excited.

I am looking to do my first elk hunt in CO this year for Unit 74. I realize that posting unit info can be sensitive so wanted to see if anyone can PM me who knows the area or who has hunted there before? I will be scouting late May and hope to hunt 1st rifle. Again really excited to join and hope I can contribute to the group in return.

-Kyle

Welcome to HT! I don't have any experience in that unit but I would recommend a quick search of the site. I know several have hunted and there may be some information and contacts you can gain. Good luck.

Thanks @Rzrbck918 i have looked through a few and noticed most prefer PM’s. I don’t want to take anyone’s main spots just looking for some options and feedback as it is fairly intimidating for a first timer.

Welcome, did you apply for the draw? First rifle hunts are draw only and the deadline was early this month. If not, you can still pick up an OTC tag for the 2nd or 3rd rifle season. A great place to start is to go to the Colorado Hunting Atlas. It shows where elk spend summers, winters and their migration routes. Also, listen to Randy's podcast about hunting elk to get a feel for how they behave and how to structure your hunt. For me, that process is almost as exciting as the hunt itself. Good luck on your journey.

Welcome. Lots of very knowledgable and very experienced elk hunters here. Sorry I am not one of them, but some will help you prepare for your hunt.

Welcome and best of luck. I am not fimiliar with the unit but got my first six elk in CO as a nonres hunter.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back