Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

CO Unit 74 for Backpacking Elk Hunt

nwchen24

Hi everyone, I'm new to the elk hunting game and planning my second hunt for this fall.

Last year, I scouted all summer closer to Denver in unit 371 and didn't see another person, but come opening day, the place was crawling with other hunters. So this year, me and my buddy are trying a new strategy - get far far away from people and hunt rougher country. Has anyone hunted in Unit 74 of Colorado before? Specifically, I'm looking at the Hermosa Creek area where I see some pretty steep country.

I'm hunting early season archery - planning on the first week of the season.

Since the unit is a lot farther from where I live in Denver, scouting trips aren't quite as feasible as to unit 371, so I'm looking for some information about this part of the state. I've been perusing google maps and have picked out some promising spots, but any advice from anyone who's had boots on the ground would be awesome.

Is water readily available (1) for the animals and (2) for us since we'll be backpacking for 6 days?
Has beetle kill hit this part of the state as bad as it has in unit 371?
What are the elk feeding on this time of year in that part of the state?
Are we likely to find elk in the canyons this early in the season where the elevation gets down as low as 8500 feet or so?
Have there been any recent burns in the Hermosa Creek area in the last few years that might not show up on Google maps?

Thanks in advance and please PM me if you'd rather any specific advice not be posted for all eyes to see.

Like I said, the elk hunting game is new to me so any advice is much appreciated!

Last edited:
Have you talked to the biologist in the area. Most of those guys are pretty helpful. I hunt 80, so can't help you other than that.

I got deer tag and elk .Lots of hunters. water yes but getting dry fast there beetle kill not much but logging in there now cattle allover in there and lions bad. elk are down in there this year and deer. hunted it 4 years got 3 elk one deer. tree stand close to roads works for me. good luck hunt hard

I hunted 371 last year and only ran into a few hunters. Sorry, I have no info on 74, but if you decide to hit 371 again I'm happy to share my limited knowledge.

Good luck,
Ben

We've hunted 75/751 many times. A couple years ago I spent a few early season days in 74 prior to picking up some friends in Durango and ran into quite a few elk. I'll check my notes and shoot you a PM.

Thanks guys. It's good to hear that there are likely to be elk in the area. That's a big step up from last year when we maybe saw a lone elk a couple of miles out while glassing.

@elkhntr - I've also spoken with the local CPW folks and like you said they were extremely helpful. For others who stumble on this post, the CPW number to call in Durango is 970-247-0855.

@Jim/Wa - I'll keep an eye out for your PM.

@dreamhunter - Was it recently that you hunted unit 74? Did you see cattle even in the steep parts of the unit? Pardon the novice hunter question, but are cattle bad for finding elk - e.g. if we see cattle, should we move on? Definitely plan on hunting hard - what we lack in knowledge we'll try to make up for in miles and not being afraid of rough country.

Last edited:
2015 was last time I was out. cattle I think do push elk out some. I have only got 9 elk hunting tips in so new at it to. If sign is fresh stay in there even if cattle are there. rough county hard to get elk out be for they spoil so I hunt closer to roads to help that out for me. best of luck hope to run in to you out there hunt the thermals the right way or you push them out then you have to go looking all over.

The cattle and elk thing is kind of up for debate. I personally don't think the elk care as long as there's enough to eat. With that said, if the cattle have moved on to greener pastures chances are the elk have too. If there's reason for you to hunt there like fresh sign or wallow, I wouldn't worry about the cattle

Took a bull in that area last year. Water is very hard to find. If you do find it is a puddle of nastiness. We filter it but still taste bad. Bring lemonade packets. It helps. There are a lot of people up there hunting. Elk are there but very hard to find with all the people pushing them from canyon to canyon. I'm not hunting there this year just due to the out of state hunter that take over the mountain without a clue. Get in deep and get up early is the best advice I can give you. Good luck

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back