CO Billy

Bighorn191

Well my lucky young son drew a goat tag this year with 3 and 6 weighted points. I've put both my boys in for tags ever since they were 12. My oldest son drew a sheep tag a few years ago and this year my youngest son drew a goat tag. We put in our time scouting and learned a lot about the unit and ultimately found a band of Billys in a spot that none had ever been harvested. Opening morning we had 5 Billys scattered out from 505 yards to 395 yards and we were out of room to get closer due to a huge rock formation and impassable timber/talus/nasties. My son cranked the scope turret to 350 (shooting uphill at a goat that we ranged for 395) and proceeded to smack a rock about 3" over his back. The goat never moved as he reloaded and was instructed to hold quite a bit lower than the first shot. The 300 WSM and 185 Berger punched a perfect hole in the heart, the billy lost all his blood in a matter of seconds, and he tipped over only a few feet from where he was standing. It's a great feeling when you know you have all day to take pics, relish the views, and ultimately take care of biz. 7 hours later we reached the truck and the next day we retrieved our camp. It was an epic goat hunt and so much fun to share a big time high country adventure. Thx to my bud Bob W. for being there to share it with us.

Attachments

• Logan1.jpg
    Logan1.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 589
  • Logan2.jpg
    Logan2.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 586
Magnificent looking billy, well done to the crew! A day to never forget.

Did the Berger exit or stay inside at that range with that shot placement?

It actually angled back toward the rear hip but did not exit. It was the first time we've ever used Bergers but after killing a few other animals this year with them myself, I'm pretty sold on how they kill stuff. I shoot a 7RUM with 180's and it pretty much hits as hard as anything I've seen except maybe my .340.

Congrats to the man behind the rifle. That is a great billy. Very happy to see him have this success with you standing right beside him.

Awesome billy! Does the CO DOW bleach all billies prior to season as a courtesy? That is one clean goat!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back