CO - 9 points

gwm

Hi, I am sheepishly asking for advice on possible units to start researching. I am a non-resident with 9pts and wondering if someone might point me in a direction in which I can start calling biologists and such. I am hoping for a 3rd or 4th season hunt but not certain where to start.

I am hoping to hunt a unit with mature bucks and good access. I am not certain there is enough time to research before the upcoming draw but I need to start someplace.

Any suggestions on possible units to research or biologists to contact?

Thanks,
gwm

Take a look at unit 40 3rd season. Lots of private but can be a good hunt or unit 70 3rd season. I have been in both units and both can be very fun.

Unit 70 4th season. I've been chasing that tag since it started and I've been a point or two behind since it started (I've got 6). The bucks are down low by then and there is a ton of public land (most of the unit is public land). Look at the Dry Creek Basin SWA. Unit 70 3rd season only takes like 1 point to draw and it's swarmed by the orange army with OTC elk hunters.

EDIT: Nevermind...I just checked hunter's tailhead and 9 points for unit 70 4th season was 0% in the draw for a NR...sorry, dude

Last edited:
Unit 61 3rd rifle would be my first choice, but you need 10 pts as a NR. I would avoid unit 40, hardly any public and most of the private charges a hefty fee. Unit 70 4th rifle would be an excellent choice. Unit 53 or 54 would be a great choice. Unit 22 is an excellent mule deer unit, but you'll leave points on the table at 9. Same with unit 30 which is the book cliffs. You got a lot of options!

Side note, 2016 is an excellent year to have a mule deer tag as the seasons run later than normal.

I would definitely go after a unit 61 tag if possible. That's where I'll hopefully be archery deer hunting this fall with my points dump.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zjzeuske
Back