Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

CO 3rd or 4th Season?

mrklean

So with the new dates in CO this year will the 4th season hunts be right during the rut or will it be toward the tail end? Everyone seems to be talking 3rd season hunts wasnt sure if they thought they would line up better with the rut? Thoughts?

3rd season hunts are gonna take 4th season points this year.
Do you think people will want to use that many points for a hunt that is crowded with otc elk hunters? I've been doing some research and it looks like a quite a few units that only took 1 or 2 points for 3rd season that took 7+ for 4th. Seems like a huge jump in points for a hunt that has later season dates but still alot of pressure from extra hunters .

This is the gamble, both dates are good but we won’t know what the draw looks like until it’s over. From what I know tag allocation will be the same, so a lot less tags during 4th. If I was a betting man I would say points on 4th season go down slightly, 3rd season go up a fair amount, maybe split the difference in points, and second about the same.

Do you think people will want to use that many points for a hunt that is crowded with otc elk hunters?
That’s a great point and one I hadn’t really considered. But I think the answer is basically gonna be yes or almost. It might not be true 4th season points required to draw 3rd season tags but I still think year over year (2020 to 2021) there is gonna be a huge increase in points required to draw 3rd season tags considering the fact that 3rd season 2021 dates (Nov 13-19) are just about 4th season 2020 dates (Nov 18-22). For example, let's take a pair of units that can be hunted with the same tag in Western CO. that were 100% draw for 3rd season with 1 pt in 2020 and 20% draw with 1 pt in 2019 for NR. The same hunt code for 4th rifle was 25% drawn with 10pts in 2020 and 100% drawn with 13 pts in 2019 for NR. The points required to draw this tag for 3rd season in 2021 probably won't be 10 or 13 but I think it could be 7-9. What I think is gonna happen is that alot of guys who had been chasing 4th season tags but kept getting beat out by point creep or guys with mid range points, say 5-9 points, are gonna see the 3rd season 2021 dates and think they can basically get a 4th season hunt date-wise with less points than normally required for a 4th season tag. I'm basically predicting that I won't be able to draw the 3rd season tag I want in 2021 with my 3 points. But I'll probably still apply for it cause I'm not that bright.

I got 6 points that I'm not sure what to do with. 3rd and 4th season look good but I'm thinking muzzleloader might be where I apply.

Hopefully early rifle for me again.
I have always wanted to do an early rifle and that was what i was debating either a late season hunt or an early season high country hunt, honestly may change my mind still knowing the creep on the last season hunts will be bad this year

Reactions: LCH
It’s hard to imagine the amount of points required will go up in all the seasons. In the premier units yes, but some tags will have to drop slightly.

It’s hard to imagine the amount of points required will go up in all the seasons. In the premier units yes, but some tags will have to drop slightly.

With colorados system (hunting on a second choice and building points) I think a lot of people just buy points until they see a hunt they really want or a year like this where dates move back. I think all 3rd season hunts will require more than last year. Even a unit that went to 3rd choice I think will move up to drawn out at second choice.

With colorados system (hunting on a second choice and building points) I think a lot of people just buy points until they see a hunt they really want or a year like this where dates move back. I think all 3rd season hunts will require more than last year. Even a unit that went to 3rd choice I think will move up to drawn out at second choice.
I agree on third season absolutely, I just don’t see second and third both increasing state wide unless 4th season demand drops.

I see lots of point builders, and there are THOUSANDS, jumping in this year. See highlighted line showing deer preference point only applications for deer in 2020 (I'm sure someone has already posted this elsewhere).

So assuming points needed will go up quite a bit this year, adjust your draw expectations accordingly, and realize all the rifle seasons will be good in 2021. 4th will still be best due to a lack of pressure, but the other 2 both deserve a look. How much time you need, points you have, your meteorological skills, etc, will all play into your choices.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210228-225044_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210228-225044_Drive.jpg
    488 KB · Views: 44
I ended up sticking with my original plan and applied for 4th season.

Reactions: LCH
Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back