PEAX Equipment

Clothing question

Big Bore

New guy here - my intro is in the intro thread.

I'm planning a DIY elk hunt next year, hopefully in New Mexico. If I don't draw, my plan is to buy a left-over tag in Colorado, Wyoming, etc. Still researching my plan B...

Anyway, I've hunted my entire life but primarily on my central Texas deer lease in box blinds. I'll be hunting with a handgun, so my question refers to one of the rifle seasons. I currently own a set of the Cabela's berber fleece with windshear and it works awesome for what I do most of the time. In your experience, will this suffice or do you think it's necessary to step up and buy a set of Kuiu, Sitka, etc?

I have most of the gear I need, but want to spread out everything else over the year as the budget allows. One of my 'for sure' purchases will be a good wool-based base layer. I have a set of under armor mid-weight but I'm not all that impressed with it.

Thank you in advance for your response.

Randy

Good idea on the merino wool base layer. After using them over the past several seasons I will not go back to synthetic. The way wool doesn't hold the stink is worth it alone.
Sitka, FirstLiite, and KUIU make great stuff. You will get alot of KUIU haters on her but I think they make great gear as do the others. Now is the time to start picking up gear on sale. That being said you probably have all the gear you need. I will say it is nice getting the better stuff if you can, it saves weight, is durable, and is usually more flexible when the temps change. If you have friends close by that have any of the gear mentioned go check them out for yourself and see what you think.

I have tried many different brands over the years. About 4 years ago I started to switch to KUIU. Its all I have now. My with got me the Merino 1/4 zip long sleeve shot and the new camp sweater for Christmas. The sweater is awesome. There base layer stuff is great.

I cannot speak to the Cabela's gear, but I will tell you to get something that is windproof. That alone will make everything else enjoyable.

Try BlackOvis Merino, good price. This year's successful Elk hunt showed me that while merino is great, it does get and stay clammy during periods of high exertion. In the future I may try synthetics again. The Kuiu Peloton 97 zip-off bottoms look promising, with the ability to add/remove without stripping in the field.

I am a Kuiu fan; I feel it offers the level of Sitka refinement at a better price. I have some First Lite outer pieces, and while I like the company, it's products are not in the same league as Kuiu or Sitka.

I cannot speak to the Cabela's gear, but I will tell you to get something that is windproof. That alone will make everything else enjoyable.

I 2nd that motion.

My primary "issue" over decades of hunting has always been wind (wind can turn a hunt into a craptastic time). Clothing brands and gear could be debated all day long and everyone has their own reasons for X brand. On that note, I have recently made the switch (primarily all my upper body clothing) to wool base layer and a GORE wind stopper layer of some kind (I love a good vest as they are very versatile).

As your budget allows I would highly recommend a layering system with a base being wool for the reasons discussed and without a doubt find a layer with a windstopper product in it (vest or jacket).

A three-layer system has done well for me, for many years.

Good wicking base layer, fleece or light wool insulating layer, over-garment of Gore-Tex for wind, rain & snow shedding abilities.

In cold weather, I'll often have another insulating layer available. The past couple of years that's been a lightweight down jacket/shirt. The down is supposed to be waterproof somehow. Seems to be working well. I don't use it that much, but it's Really Warm when I've needed it.

Elk hunting with a handgun? Cool. :)

Enjoy and please give us a hunt report when it's all said & done!

Guy

Thanks everyone! Great insight. The Cabela's is in fact, wind-proof and works quite well actually. I think for year one I'll use this as my outer layer, and invest in a good wool base layer. I'll look into the Black Ovis as suggested.

I think the wind shear is fine. I use it layer wise. Vest is usually enuf. throw the jacket over it when I sit down to glass.
A little bulky for carrying the pack over and I have to make sure I bring a larger blaze orange vest. But if you don't want to
spend the extra $$ on the form fitting exotic material.... I bring a neck gator and/or the Elmer Fudd bomber type hat with flaps
since there is no hood on the jacket

Back