Caribou Gear Tarp

September Clothes

markwilks

Will be hunting around Hayden 18th through 23rd September and not sure what clothes to bring or buy for the hunt. I’m from Michigan so all I have are mid to heavy weight hunting clothes for deer season. I was told temps will be 30’s to 40’ in the mornings up to 70’s. Never really hunted where I’m walking all day. Usually in a deer stand. We’re not camping if that means anything.

If you have any suggestions on what to buy for clothes I would appreciate the help. I’ve thought about lightweight merino wool base layer and some hunting pants, lightweight hoodie and orange vest.

What else do I need? Any particular brands and products you suggest? I purchased some Schnees boots.

Thanks!

I’ve had a lot of luck with merino wool lightweight baselayers and Sitka’s Apex line. Usually the Apex hoodie is enough but I’ll keep another lightweight jacket with wind block in the pack.

That being said, that time of year could get you highs in the 80s or snow and 20s and maybe in the same week.

Wool does a good job in my opinion of covering a wide range of temps.

I pack:
core lt wt
core med wt
core hvy wt
90% jacket
sitka jetstream
kryptek kratos light puffy
older sitka down puffy
new this year sitka mountain jacket (a little more than a wind shirt)
ascent pants
costco travel pants
light cloth gloves
costco 32 deg rain jacket

usually wear the lt wt, hvy or med wt, and the 90% or kratos puffy in the morning, taking off the layers when needed

For those temps my favorite piece of clothing is the Kuiu zip off long underwear. I wear them in the morning starting out and you can take them off mid-morning while you still have your boots on. Zipping them on is a real pain but they work good for mornings. Top layer would be the skre puffy, same deal easy coming off and stores light when it warms up. Other than those it's usually the Sitka timberline pants and jet stream jacket. Badlands merino base layers. Cabelas space rain gear in my pack all the time and Kuiu Yukon in camp in case the weather really sucks.

This is what I wear In September when I hike in. I don’t have a matching kit, several manufacturers are represented. If you are starting to get warm take the time to drop your pack and remove some clothing. I like to be pretty cold, almost uncomfortable, when I start and the first 1/4 mile will have you warmed up.

Upper body
150 weightMerino base layer
Tshirt, breathable, quick dry, if you are going to wear it several days merino would be best.
Quarter zip light long sleeve
Fleece wind proof with a hood
Light gloves

Lower body:
Duluth buck naked unders
150 weight merino bottoms
Quick drying, lightweight Pants
Darn tough medium hiking socks
If it’s snows or rains I wear gators

In the pack:
First lite uncomphagre puffy
Rain top and bottom

Most September lightweight wool underpants/shirt paired with non insulated pants and a sweatshirt, pack a windbreaker/rain coat. $20+ wool socks in good and broke in waxed boots. All that said i hunt in snow most every year in September so have options to layer up.

This is what I wear In September when I hike in. I don’t have a matching kit, several manufacturers are represented. If you are starting to get warm take the time to drop your pack and remove some clothing. I like to be pretty cold, almost uncomfortable, when I start and the first 1/4 mile will have you warmed up.

Upper body
150 weightMerino base layer
Tshirt, breathable, quick dry, if you are going to wear it several days merino would be best.
Quarter zip light long sleeve
Fleece wind proof with a hood
Light gloves

Lower body:
Duluth buck naked unders
150 weight merino bottoms
Quick drying, lightweight Pants
Darn tough medium hiking socks
If it’s snows or rains I wear gators

In the pack:
First lite uncomphagre puffy
Rain top and bottom
Thank you. This sounds like a good list for me to mimic.

This is a good article for an intro to western clothing. That time of year it is nice to have a light hoody (I like wool), fleece, puffy coat and rain gear. On bottom, light zip-off long underwear, lightish hiking pants and rain pants. I'd bring a baseball hat, beanie and maybe a light neck gaiter too. From there, a few sets of good underwear and socks, I like a synthetic/merino blend for both. As for gloves, I like a set of leather gloves for hiking around and then a more insulated pair for early mornings/evenings.

It doesn't really matter what brand you go with. Look outside the hunting space as well.

I pack:
core lt wt
core med wt
core hvy wt
90% jacket
sitka jetstream
kryptek kratos light puffy
older sitka down puffy
new this year sitka mountain jacket (a little more than a wind shirt)
ascent pants
costco travel pants
light cloth gloves
costco 32 deg rain jacket

usually wear the lt wt, hvy or med wt, and the 90% or kratos puffy in the morning, taking off the layers when needed
This is a good list. Mix and match similar stuff and you’ll be good to go IMO. I’ve hunted in deep snow in September and I’ve hunted in 90 degrees. Lots of variables

I've hunted birds in that region. If sitting in a deer stand in Michigan is your normal, you're more likely to be under-prepared for how hot and sweaty you could get, not for how cold it could get. That time of year, I'm wearing lightweight, flexible pants and a lightweight long sleeve shirt, rarely anything more. I have a rain coat and a wool jacket. I almost never have to use the jacket, but I do use the rain coat occasionally. If you've got good boots and you wanted to get only one more pricey item, a lightweight merino hoodie is a good investment, not too warm in hot weather, but provides warmth if rain/snow hits you suddenly. For other things, there's no need to break the bank. If you're going to sit and glass for hours on a windy knob, that's when you bring out your Michigan deer stand clothing.

Here's what I use in September:
FL brush pant (not the best choice for archery big game due to the noise)
Off brand merino baselayer
FL Klamath hoodie
FL Hybrid Vest
off brand rain jacket (In my pack)
Cabelas Wooltimate Jacket (in my Pack)

Welcome to Huntalk!

The usual Hayden wardrobe in September is skinny bedazzled jeans and a puffy vest, square toed boots, and a dad hat. Yukon XL not optional

Seriously though. Just use the WapitiBob list. September in North Idaho is a crap shoot.

I love the First Lite zip off wool base later bottoms. You don't have to take off your boots to drop a layer when it heats up. Drop your pants to your ankles and do the Magic Mike.

Last edited:
PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back