Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Cleaning a levergun

mtmuley

Specifically a Model 94. Looked at some videos, but I'm old fashioned and like it in print. What is the best way to clean the bore of a Model 94? Thanks guys. mtmuley

Use a guard for the crown, tip it muzzle angled down, scrub away with a good coated rod, then use a spray cleaner to flush the chamber.

Not a fan of Boresnake cleaners. Will look for a crown guard tomorrow. Gonna run some Hammers through it. This rifle has never seen a mono. mtmuley

Instead of forcing a cleaning rod/jag into the muzzle, I carefully slide the cleaning rod into the barrel to the point where I can attach the jag onto the tip of the rod through the action. I then pull the rod out of the barrel with the jag attached. This way the jag/patch, etc is moving from the chamber to the muzzle (same direction the bullet moves). It takes a little patience, but I would rather do it this way than cram it into the muzzle and push all the crap toward the action and risk damaging the crown.

edited to add: Should have noted that I use a slotted jag for the patches.

Last edited:
I use a bore snake dropped from chamber end to muzzle. Insert a strip of rag soaked in Hoppes through the finger loop, enough to fit tightly in the chamber and bore, then pull it all the way through. Rather than put the handle on the other end, I simply stand on the cord while pulling through and guiding the rag and loop into the chamber with one hand while holding rifle firmly with the other. Pull some of the snake through then move foot forward to step on the cord again and resume. Never a good idea to push gunk into the chamber with a rod from muzzle end.

Instead of forcing a cleaning rod/jag into the muzzle, I carefully slide the cleaning rod into the barrel to the point where I can attach the jag onto the tip of the rod through the action. I then pull the rod out of the barrel with the jag attached. This way the jag/patch, etc is moving from the chamber to the muzzle (same direction the bullet moves). It takes a little patience, but I would rather do it this way than cram it into the muzzle and push all the crap toward the action and risk damaging the crown.
I’m curious how your patches stay on the jag?

Snake the brush from the muzz end and work to and thru the ramp (have not tried) & wrap a hoppe soaked patch on the brush & pull from the muzzle?

Nope, just looked at a 94...won't work

Last edited:
I have one. Actually forgot until you mentioned it. I'll find it. I have always used bolt guns. This is my first go at loading for a lever. Since I am using Hammers, I want the bore clean. mtmuley
Agree on the Otis kit, only way to go on a 94.

Considered trying that bullet in my 99 300 savage...but I'm not sure. Might go with the 135 power hammers instead.
Steve took a .30-30 to Africa last trip. Can't remember which bullet. He is there right now. I'll dig up the thread. mtmuley

Formerly used coated rod with crown protector with 94 upside down action open in cradle so the "crap" fell out into a rag. Crown protector royal PITA! Switched to Otis first time I saw one at a winter hunting show maybe deep in last century. But I still like cleaning it upside down even with Otis. I will bet Hammers will require less cleaning! God, I hope so! Hate to clean the 94!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KJ1225
Back