Rifle Cleaning Kit

RugerHawg413

Hello,
I am looking to replace my old rifle clenaing kit and was wondering if anyone knows of a good all-encompassing rifle cleaning kit for long range rifles? Thanks!

I don’t buy into the kits anymore. I buy a long one-piece rod that’s close or slightly smaller than the bore of the rifle I’m using it for. For example I have a .22cal rod for my .22-.24 caliber rifles. Then a .28cal rod for .28/7mm” - .338” rifles. I then get a good pointed brass jag, bronze/brass brushes, a slotted patch jag, and patches for every caliber I clean.

Keeps it simple and it works well for me. I go through brushes faster than anything but they are fairly cheap to replace when worn out.

One piece rod (Dewey or Bore Tech comes to mind). And a bore guide for sure. "Proof positive" jags, brushes, etc from Bore-Tech. Avoid brass jags or brushes if using an aggressive (copper removing) solvent or you will continue to get blue/green residue on your patches long after your bore is clean.
+1 this is great advice. Boretech eliminator and copper solvent are awesome products.
Don’t forget some quality gun grease for the bolt lugs also.

One piece rod (Dewey or Bore Tech comes to mind). And a bore guide for sure. "Proof positive" jags, brushes, etc from Bore-Tech. Avoid brass jags or brushes if using an aggressive (copper removing) solvent or you will continue to get blue/green residue on your patches long after your bore is clean.
Wait is THAT why it always feels like my bore is so high maintenance?

What’s the science behind that?

I like the one piece Dewey rods, proof positive jags, and Montana extreme cleaner. Just don't inhale the fumes!!! I used Montana extreme the first time in my house and it didn't take long for that to become a back porch project no matter the temperature outside!!

Wait is THAT why it always feels like my bore is so high maintenance?

What’s the science behind that?
Brass contains copper so if you use a brass jag or brush the copper solvent reacts with the brass and makes the patch blue/green giving a false reading.

In my opinion More damage is done to rifle barrels from over/improper cleaning than from not cleaning enough.

Brass contains copper so if you use a brass jag or brush the copper solvent reacts with the brass and makes the patch blue/green giving a false reading.

In my opinion More damage is done to rifle barrels from over/improper cleaning than from not cleaning enough.

I’ll use an electronic bore cleaner maybe when I start seeing accuracy fall off.

Otherwise my “gun cleaning habits” is now to make sure the moving parts are wiped off and operate correctly and lubed.

Barrel rarely gets touched

Same as above. Pass on the kits. Get a one piece rod, a bore guide, a jag and nylon brush of desired bore diameter, and a nylon brush sized for throat diameter. I just use a foaming bore cleaner, and boretech copper and carbon removers for bore cleaning. The foaming bore cleaner does most of the work.

Same as above. Pass on the kits. Get a one piece rod, a bore guide, a jag and nylon brush of desired bore diameter, and a nylon brush sized for throat diameter. I just use a foaming bore cleaner, and boretech copper and carbon removers for bore cleaning. The foaming bore cleaner does most of the work.
Thanks for the reply! I just bought some Tipton supplies, including a one piece carbon fiber rod. I know that some of the brands are better, but I thought for starting out that Tipton should be good enough. And then work up to the better brands like BoreTech and Dewey Rods. Thank you again!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back