Cleaning a levergun

I use a carbon fiber cleaning rod with a timney jag and a bore guide on my original 93 marlin. Muzzle to breach

Then take a small diameter nylon rod, drill and tap to jag threads. Heat and bend so you can clean the chamber from the breech. Takes some time but works

Formerly used coated rod with crown protector with 94 upside down action open in cradle so the "crap" fell out into a rag. Crown protector royal PITA! Switched to Otis first time I saw one at a winter hunting show maybe deep in last century. But I still like cleaning it upside down even with Otis. I will bet Hammers will require less cleaning! God, I hope so! Hate to clean the 94!
Must be missing out, I’ve never even heard of this Otis deal. I’ll have to look it up just out of curiosity

Instead of forcing a cleaning rod/jag into the muzzle, I carefully slide the cleaning rod into the barrel to the point where I can attach the jag onto the tip of the rod through the action. I then pull the rod out of the barrel with the jag attached. This way the jag/patch, etc is moving from the chamber to the muzzle (same direction the bullet moves). It takes a little patience, but I would rather do it this way than cram it into the muzzle and push all the crap toward the action and risk damaging the crown.
same

I have dozens of lever action rifles, all of them are nice rifles. I have cleaned them all for decades and using a brass jag, I have never been worried or destroyed the muzzle on a single rifle.

It is like the story of the woman that cuts the ends off of her roast before she cooks it. She doesn’t know why, but her mother did the same thing.

Don’t worry about the muzzle, just clean it with care and you won’t hurt a thing…

22145F1A-5D03-4B65-928F-49463861174C.jpegF776DAA8-E5A9-475D-8E2A-CB2852B48C38.jpeg

I have dozens of lever action rifles, all of them are nice rifles. I have cleaned them all for decades and using a brass jag, I have never been worried or destroyed the muzzle on a single rifle.

It is like the story of the woman that cuts the ends off of her roast before she cooks it. She doesn’t know why, but her mother did the same thing.

Don’t worry about the muzzle, just clean it with care and you won’t hurt a thing…

View attachment 237969View attachment 237970
I've never lusted after another man before but....

What RealMuddyboots said first has worked for millions for over a century. It still will.

Alternatively, buy a Marlin and clean from the breech. Seriously, it is simple as turning a screw (a thumbscrew if you wish). :)

I would stick with good old lead bullets (and even black powder if you want the real deal). They have always worked and always will. "Hammers" may be the latest great thing, but you don't need to make this hard, and you don't need to try to turn your lever gun into a bolt rifle to kill stuff. Shoot it like it was born to shoot, and it won't let you down. Just my 2 cents :)

Slotted jag, fromt he muzzle and blow out the action is how I've always done it.

And @shrapnel's collection is drool worthy, but there's not Model 71 Deluxe in the mix, so it's incomplete. $only 597 stars out of a possible 598.

Back